• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alger and dead fish :(

Sirkavu

Hey Guys,

Hope you are all well!

So, I have been having some real issues last couple weeks with my tank. For long time I have had algae issues and even posted here, yet, after a good few weeks of all eyes on the tank I managed to control algae to a point it was dissapearing 100% (so I thought). Just a month and half ago, due to work I didn't put as much EI, liquid CO2 and forgot to do WC for that week. I felt the worst coming tbh and I was right as I saw algae re appearing. A week later I had to travel for 5 days abroad (work) and left the lights off during this time. I got back and was the same as I left. Then algae started to get worse and worse until a couple weeks ago my fish started to die :(

First my male molly who was with me for about 6 months. Then one of my Ottos (2 months) and this week my oldest fish - female Molly with almost three years and another otto. My Molly I think it was pregnant as she was very fat.

It is interesting that i see my cherry shrimps all the time at the front but my Amano are always hiding only out on my WC.

Can anyone advice here....i don't know what to do. I am moving house in a week time which might be a great chance to super duppa clean the tank.

Specifications
Tank
Juwel Rio 180l
Light MultiLux LED | Kelvin 9000/6500 | Lumen 5290 | ON for 6h/day
Pump
Juwel Ecoflow 1000l/h
Filter Bioflow M Original
Temp - 24-26c (30/32 These last super hot days)
Water - London Hard water
Fertilization - EI Method
CO2 - I use liquid CO2 Easy Carbo 3/4ml 6 days a week.
I also got a Juwel Amorax which should help with any Amonia if any in the tank.

Sunday 50%WC
Prime to clean the water

Plants
Amazon Sword (Aquaflora)
Cyperus Helferi (Tropica)
Staurogyne repens Tropica (1-2 grow)
Alternanthera reickii (Aquaflora)
ludwigia repens (Aquaflora)

Fish
9 zebra danio
1 molly
4 golden Gourami
10 Amano shrimp
Cherry Shrimp colony

Any other information you might need please let me know :)

Thank you all!

Attachments

• IMG_1553.JPG
    IMG_1553.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2632.JPG
    IMG_2632.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2902.JPG
    IMG_2902.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_5869.JPG
    IMG_5869.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7334.JPG
    IMG_7334.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_7779.JPG
    IMG_7779.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 144
Low oxygen, and a build up of glutaraldehyde from the easycarbo would be my guess.

@rudedog Not yet...which test do you advice? I remember to hear tests must be good or they wont show with good accuracy?

When you don't know the cause of the problem, extra water changes are a good starting point.
Did the fish show any symptoms before they died? Changes in appearamce or behaviour?
I started 2 WC last week but wasn't on time. They didn't that's the problem. We would see it on the same day they dies only :(

Low oxygen, and a build up of glutaraldehyde from the easycarbo would be my guess.
I actually thought on going without Liquid CO2. I have my 42L without CO2 and plants were really good. But this is a 180L and I am a fraid. For now want to see how I can solve this :(

Hey guys!!

sorry the long silence but I’ve moved home, plus working non stop as lockdown will come to end and it’s Christmas time oh dear...

so I’ve done my tests and all looks great. The only things is that Nitrate is around 40ppm. On the paper it says should be between 0-40 so I don’t know. I think this is the reason for my algae and dead fish problems no?

only things is that Nitrate is around 40ppm. On the paper it says should be between 0-40 so I don’t know. I think this is the reason for my algae and dead fish problems no?
Unlikely.

I reckon you should reduce light by 20%. Increase water changes to 50% twice a week for 3 weeks then back to 50% weekly. Reduce Carbon by 50%.

Cut off all leaves with bad algae and remove em. Clean the filter also.

Then watch for the next couple of months.

@rebel thanks a lot!! I just did a 50% WC today and measured the water before it, same as before aside from the pH as I did the high range this time.

I’ll be doing twice week WC as you advice and keep an eye.

I wanted to tal all Plants and re do the scaling. This would allow me as well to take all bad plants out and put some new fast growing. Would this be ok?

Attachments

• 19633341-A383-4CDC-B246-DE465EFD93C8.jpeg
    19633341-A383-4CDC-B246-DE465EFD93C8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 131
  • 78B71039-7CE7-45F6-A349-4E3BFB71642B.jpeg
    78B71039-7CE7-45F6-A349-4E3BFB71642B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
Back