• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae problem - unsure why

foxfish

You can definitely up the fert dose as I was double dosing the same fert mix at one time with great results.
Also you can up your water change, try 50% twice a week for a few weeks or even more if necessary.
If the problem persist perhaps try dosing some liquid carbon as well!!

Hi any ideas on what type of algae? Hair, Staghorn etc is it just on the plants or have you got it on the gravel as well? Can you post some photos of the algae for us? Also how many fish have you got in the tank, size type quantity and feeding regime, also how old are the 25 watt T8 tubes? A combination of any or all of these factors plus your fert dosing is maybe what is causing the problem. It is a case of assessing each one in turn and making single changes or adjustments rather than many things at once otherwise you will never identify the cause :?

Cheers,

Steve

The only effect too much co2 would have on the tank would be on the fish. Lots of people who run tanks with out fauna are able to run co2 at very high doses with no algae problems. My drop checker is yellow towards the end of my photoperiod and I don't have algae.
I'd say it could just possibly be down to the need to add more ferts to the tank.

The only thing you didn't mention is how long your lighting period is.

Back