• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae Issue from Empty CO2 bottle

amritc1

Hi All,

Whilst on Holiday I came back to an empty bottle of CO2 and tank was full of algae.
I am currently still removing the algae from the tank, trimmed everything back and have upped the CO2.
Also I have reduced the light from 4 x 59w T5's without the LED strips. Photo period reduced from 7 hours to 5 and half hours.

Would like to confirm if this is BBA?
Also would like to know how deep should I cut the Monte Carlo?
I have already give it a massive trim and removed some plants that were all covered.

37111504040_257b71847e.jpg

Has gone slightly lighter in colour since the changes.

Full Tank shot
37111503010_41ab40cbe9.jpg

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi All,

Seems like things are getting worse in the tank :(

37604177232_1c3e73838f.jpg

37587558026_0c51145f3e.jpg

Full Tank shot from last night
37377857510_8433822231.jpg

Since I last posted I have done the following:
I have increased CO2 and decreased the lights.
Two 60-70% water changes and another one due today.
Cleaned filters and also added new Eheim pre-filters & Chihiros Doctor 2 Super.

Daily Dosing as per usual
- 5ml of Excel
- 2ml of Ferro
- 10ml if Profito

I would like some advice if I am doing things correctly before I decide to give up on the carpet and rip it all out. It's my first time I have managed to get the carpet this far.

Thanks in advance.
Amrit

That on the glass looks like bga, blue green algae. Water changes won't work. It still looks manageable with just removal and spraying with h2o2. If too much you need to dose erythromycin to get rid of it. Details are online or I will edit my post later.

Meanwhile for your tank, no trimming.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys,

Had a quick read about Erythromycine and think its not the route I would like to take.
Fairly new to dosing so need to do a bit of reading around that.
Daily Dosing as per usual
- 5ml of Excel
- 2ml of Ferro
- 10ml of Profito
Might invest in the EI salts from one of the sponsors on here.

As I only have three dosing pumps what would you recommend I should drop and replace?
Also for the Blackout do you still keep the CO2 running?
How about adding an air pump during blackout? Would this help.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thank you for the prompt reply Edvet.
Will give this a go and start the blackout tonight. I have just purchased EasyLife Nitro for dosing N hope this is ok?
Do I still carry on dosing the with the blackout?

Hi,
I've had a BBA problem for most of this year, an early try with Hydrogen Peroxide or H2O2 failed. But a couple of weeks ago I got myself 2x bottles of 9% HP, throw 100ml into my Aqua-1 170L tank (Led lighting and CO2), this unfortunately killed a few Tetras (4) and a Blue Ram, But it seems to have done the trick, although I did also soak some bad plants and rocks/wood in it, that was about 25ml in a 10L bucket for some time..
In my Juwel Rio 125 I added 50ml, this killed off all the tread algae which was getting to be a problem, and NO fish suffered at all, as far as I could tell, no thrashing about or panic gasping etc.... I have now also reduced the lights/timers so lights on 9am-12am then 5pm-10pm which should help!

Will report back later, any help or comments very welcome.

Regards

Mel.

Hi Mel,
Thanks for the info, going to try the blackout first and work with the nutrients.
If this fails then will try peroxide after rehoming 100 cardinals, 50 shrimp, shrimplets, 3 ottos and 5 nerite snails. Oh and the 5 amanos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think spot dosing with hydrogen peroxide would be a lot better than a blackout. It is not only faster but works. Start with small doses to see the reaction of fish. Turn off the filter\power head and dose with a syringe in the visible patches. Wait 5 minutes and turn the filter back on. Wait a few hours and dose in the next spot. The algae will turn red or white.
Erythromycine also kills a lot of beneficial bacteria. Doing a blackout and dosing N helps too and is less dangerous. Also you get in contact with Ery and that could promote bacterial resistance. And you need to remove it safely.
http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...se-of-antibiotics-in-animals/20067064.article
I have to strongly disagree. Erythromycine does not significantly influence the nitrification cycle. It is unable to kill certain bacteria due to their membrane structure. It may select for the species that are resistant to erythromycin, but resistance is either an innate characteristic or already acquired. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765652/

Many aquarists used the method and the only increase in N products was when massive amounts of algae were left to decompose in the aquarium. Antibiotic resistance in bacteria is not as simple as getting into contact with ... Suffice to say high dose for enough time prevents most.

Second, just personal experience and tests with blackouts. They don't work for me and they harm the plants more than the algae. Tried it with bga specifically several times and all the times it failed. Green water... Failed. Hair algae... Fail. A sample of bga in a flask with aquarium water was able to regrow after 6 months of complete darkness. At the moment I have a cladophora sample still green after 2 months of darkness. I don't l want to keep the aquarium that long without light.

For the rare cases when it works something else happens that may be a side product of the blackout taking place under certain conditions. Now that is interesting...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Use of Antibiotics in Ornamental Fish Aquaculture1

Roy P. E. Yanong2

Misuse of any antibiotic can lead to the creation of resistant bacteria in a facility. In an attempt to avoid this, some farms will rotate the antibiotics they use every few months or every year. However, the best solution is to positively identify the bacteria by running culture and sensitivity tests, and thereby avoid unnecessary, costly, and potentially harmful treatments.

The most extreme cases of misuse and ‘shot-gunning’ can result in ‘superinfections’ in fish. These infections are caused by bacteria that are resistant to most of the commonly used antibiotics. Obviously, this situation is not desirable, and it is completely avoidable in most cases.

I am not saying it won't work, just that in today's view it's not the prefered way.
The article you mention refers to wastewater treatment. This has little bearing on the home situation. Should you get a resistant Streptococ there could be a more serious problem. While the whole world is striving to get antibiotic use down, in my mind blindly using it in our home environment, while there is ample evidence alternatives work (http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.nl/ amongst other people's and my own experience) is a shortsighted route

Hi all,
If too much you need to dose erythromycin to get rid of it.
I have to strongly disagree. Erythromycine does not significantly influence the nitrification cycle. It is unable to kill certain bacteria due to their membrane structure. It may select for the species that are resistant to erythromycin, but resistance is either an innate characteristic or already acquired. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2765652/
From the referenced paper..
.......However, through analyzing microbial communities of the three steady state SBRs (sequencing batch reactors) on high-density microarrays (PhyloChip), ERY (trace erythromycin), and ERY-H2O had pronounced effects on the community composition of bacteria related to N and P removal, leading to diversity loss and abundance change. The above observations indicated that resistant bacteria were selected upon exposure to ERY or ERY-H2O. Short-term batch experiments further proved the resistance and demonstrated that ammonium oxidation (56–95%) was inhibited more significantly than nitrite oxidation (18–61%) in the presence of ERY (100, 400, or 800 µg/L)
Which would set all sorts of alarm bells ringing for me, the only real crumb of comfort is that Archaea are likely to be the more <"important organisms for ammonia oxidation in aquarium biofilters"> and they are mainly antibiotic resistant.

Another issue is that it is actually illegal to buy, or use antibiotics, for this purpose in the UK.
Misuse of any antibiotic can lead to the creation of resistant bacteria in a facility. In an attempt to avoid this, some farms will rotate the antibiotics they use every few months or every year. However, the best solution is to positively identify the bacteria by running culture and sensitivity tests, and thereby avoid unnecessary, costly, and potentially harmful treatments.
@Edvet (who is a vet) is right, antibiotic resistance <"is a huge issue in both human and animal health"> & <"Charting risk of....">, and, if you look at countries, there is an almost perfect correlation between the degree of antibiotic resistance and the availability of antibiotics "over the counter", without prescription.
Abx-Resistance-vs-Consumption-OECD-copy.jpg

cheers Darrel

Prof Lacey who I studied microbiology with was against the use of antibiotics 25yrs ago and it's only just catching now. Just another example how the chief advisors take their time in changing guidelines.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

Thank you all so much,
So much reading and just trying to
Understand the natural way without too many algae killers.

Would like to take the route of some sort of deficiency or error on my part to resolve this issue.
Don’t want to nuke something that was caused by my mistake.

I’ve had a read about antibiotics and don’t think it’s a route I would take. I made the mistake of not providing the correct environment for what I have in my tank.
I need too look and not listen but look again to see what the plants need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
I cannot see clearly the photos in your post #2, but it appears to be BGA.
BGA blooms are typically due to poor NO3.
This type of bloom may have been triggered before you left for holiday.

It can easily be resolved by regular addition of KNO3.

Cheers,

Cheers guys,
Did not get a chance to start the blackout this week, fingers crossed can find some time today.

@Darrel, thanks been vacuuming and brushing as much of it as I can.

@Clive, I have just started dosing Easy-Life Nitro at the moment only been a few days.
Instruction say "10 ml per 500 litres increases NO3 concentration by 2.0 ppm" so I am adding about 20 ml per day. Does that sound about right? or is it that low.
Aqua One 1500R (405 litres) approx 350l wih Substrate

I have also reduced lighting to 2x59w T5's.

Back