• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae Identification Help

cbaum86

Long time follower, first time poster.

I need some help with a recently set up scape which has recently developed an out break I'm struggling to deal with. I've checked some of the common sources (planted tank and green aqua etc.) to help identify which form I'm dealing with so I know the proper course of action but I'm not convinced with my diagnosis as it structure seems to be stringy but has a definite pale yellowy brown colour. It only grows on plants and hardscape, not on the glass.

Here are the tank stats:
  • 22l
  • Hydor Prime 10 Filter
  • Pressurised CO2 @ 1.5bps (40bpm) - light green drop checker
  • DIY LED light @ 27W (4 White 3W, 4 Blue 3W, 1 Red 3W) run at 50% for 6hrs
  • Inline heater keeping tank around 25deg
  • Daily Dose Aquascaper Complete 2ml
  • Tropica Soil Powder
The tank was set up in early Oct, fully cycled and fish (single Betta and a Nerite) added Early Dec. No signs of algae at all until mid Jan then as per photos.

Since then I have lowered the lights to their dimmest around 25% (7W) and been removing as much as I can by hand and syphoning with 2x 50% water changes per week. This probably removes 90% of the visible stuff but within 2-3 days its back. Given a week it would be running rampant.

Dependant on identification the course of action seems to either be up everything - co2, ferts etc, or stop everything and black out for a few days.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Ah, it appears you can't embed with Google photos, I've put links up until I can sort out some other image hosting.

Thanks.

Hi
U can add straight from your device using the upload file button under the typing window.
Regards Konsa

IMG_20190124_155356.jpg IMG_20190124_155326.jpg IMG_20190124_155310.jpg

Hi
I used to get them in my 22l due to organics build up.
Good cleaning ,regular WC and they should go away as not one of the stubborn stuff.
Do U have full front tank shot ?

Regards Konsa

Full tank shot:
IMG_20190124_193402.jpg

Apologies about the diffuser right on the front glass, my inline one started to leak and that position gets the best flow for distribution.

I did recently move to doing 2 50% water changes per week since they appeared and try to remove as much of the diatoms as I can with the syphon. I'll up the changes and I guess as with most diatoms stay patient, keep up maintenance and wait it out.

Hi
It sounds like the right plan.
It will help if U get 2 amano shrimps in there too.
Funny enough I only ever had that type of algae in small setup like yours with betta in it. And low flow that was alowing debris to accumulate.When I moved the betta out and replaced with shrimps and snails with better flow never saw it again.
I asked for full tank shot to get better idea of the setup.Having floaters is good.
Regards Konsa

I wondered if it may be the lower flow but then I figured everyone with a Betta would have the issue.
I might try moving a couple of my larger female amano from another tank. The Betta is pretty placid so they should be fine but I'll keep an eye on them.
The floaters seems to be the worst culprits, their roots are covered and it's very hard to remove from them but they multiply so quickly there's always plenty even after removing the worst.
I appreciate all the advice, at least it's nice to know that if I just keep going it should die off.
Either that or it's going to end up being a shrimp tank with higher flow o_O

Hi
Be carefull with the amanos.
While the betta wont do any harm to large female (mine a sound with SAP Puffers that have shrimp as their fav food)It was very difficult for me to keep them in tank that small.Had 2 that made it to the carpet and most times in back sump.Had to cling film the tank to keep them in.
Regards Konsa

Back