• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae ID/ solutions.

Jaseon

So one of my father in laws tanks has some algae on his plants some shown here, and on his Java ferns. It looks more unsightly than anything. It wouldn't bother me too much, but its spoiling the look of his plants. Any ideas?, he has some Hygrophila thats not affected. Hes been dosing TNC complete.

20220305_144414.jpg 20220305_144517.jpg

I've been keeping fish for 40 plus years, but I'm no expert on the plant front (hence finding this forum). What I do know is that Java Fern grows a lot more slowly than stem plants, so is more likely to accumulate detritus and algae than faster growing plants. It could be a sign that there are too many nutrients or too higher light. No doubt others will be better placed to assist you.

So one of my father in laws tanks has some algae on his plants some shown here, and on his Java ferns. It looks more unsightly than anything. It wouldn't bother me too much, but its spoiling the look of his plants. Any ideas?, he has some Hygrophila thats not affected. Hes been dosing TNC complete.

View attachment 184032View attachment 184033

That sword looks pretty scrawny - scrawny plants always seems to be algae magnets in my experience! The Hydro looks good though... I would dial down the light and perhaps add some floating plants... and possibly nip off the badly infected leaves. The tank looks pretty clean to me so I doubt this has anything to do with organic waste build up if thats what @NatalieHurrell meant by "nutrients"... In an otherwise healthy well-maintained tank the fertilizer we dose wont cause algae - Clive (@ceg4048) taught me so long time ago and it still holds very true!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
I started this thread several days ago, and gave up on it so thanks for the replies.

I did think that too much light could be the issue as i suspect its on for around 12hrs. I did have his main tank on a timer, but he turned it off awhile back, and dont remember the reason. I do remember reading that algae can purchase a foothold on weaker plants. The sword started off quite well, but has started to go pale, and transparent with it leaves. Maybe its a combination of things. The algae thats on the rocks is the same thats on the leaves so dont know. Ill recommend he cuts back on his lights.

Looks like the flat type bba that takes hold in some tanks with Anubias and Jaba ferns.

Is your water pretty hard? In my experience, this type loves inconsistent CO2 and hard water and takes a liking to slow growing plants.

Can you rub it off? If it comes off easily, its diatoms which is far easier to deal with. But i reckon that is BBA or the first stage of it.

Looks like the flat type bba that takes hold in some tanks with Anubias and Jaba ferns.

Is your water pretty hard? In my experience, this type loves inconsistent CO2 and hard water and takes a liking to slow growing plants.

Can you rub it off? If it comes off easily, its diatoms which is far easier to deal with. But i reckon that is BBA or the first stage of it.

No it dont rub off like diotoms. Soft water here in S. Wales.

No it dont rub off like diotoms. Soft water here in S. Wales.
Its BBA then unfortunately.
Start removing affected leaves and dose excel to dissuade new growth or at least provide inhospitable conditions for its growth.

CO2 fluctuations results in BBA according to popular opinion. Are you using pressurised CO2?

Its BBA then unfortunately.
Start removing affected leaves and dose excel to dissuade new growth or at least provide inhospitable conditions for its growth.

CO2 fluctuations results in BBA according to popular opinion. Are you using pressurised CO2?
No additional CO2. Ive heard of using excel before so will read up on it. If it is BBA its been like that for quite awhile. The system seems to be in balance enough for it to not start sprouting hairs like it seem to do. The rest of the tank is clean, and looking good.

Hi all,
That sword looks pretty scrawny
184014-a3dee4ef9de7dd2fcea1aae5bb27da24.jpg

If you look at the new leaves (like the one on the right of the plant, and the one left centre) they are really pale and almost translucent. I'm pretty sure that you also have a nutrient deficiency, and it is likely to be <"either iron (Fe) or manganese (Mn)">.

This is <"iron deficiency in Amazon Frogbit"> (Limnobium laevigatum), because it is a floating plant it has taken CO2 (carbon (C) is the nutrient that plants require most of) out of the equation.

dad12186cb152cccee11028dc11c34f4-jpg.jpg

<"TNC Complete"> contains all the essential plant nutrients, but it may not be supplying any iron in available form.

cheers Darrel

If you look at the new leaves (like the one on the right of the plant, and the one left centre) they are really pale and almost translucent. I'm pretty sure that you also have a nutrient deficiency, and it is likely to be <"either iron (Fe) or manganese (Mn)">.
<"TNC Complete"> contains all the essential plant nutrients, but it may not be supplying any iron in available form.
That is likely it. Swords need a good deal Iron (Fe). One recommendation would be to supplement the TNC Complete with some Iron such as Seachem Iron.

Cheers,
Michael

Hi,
No, it could not. Nutrients don't cause algae.

Hey @ceg4048 I've responded to this statement before, but no response, so I try again :)

I have kept RO water in food safe (new), transparent water containers throughout summer, in direct sun with not a sign of algae. So, if nutrients don't cause algae, what does?

Maybe I was just very lucky to have a truly clean water container with no Algae spores?

Hey @ceg4048 I've responded to this statement before, but no response, so I try again :)
I have kept RO water in food safe (new), transparent water containers throughout summer, in direct sun with not a sign of algae. So, if nutrients don't cause algae, what does?
Maybe I was just very lucky to have a truly clean water container with no Algae spores?
"Excess nutrients are not the cause of algae problems in planted aquaria" might be the more verbose way of phrasing "nutrients don't cause algae". How'd your plants in your RO water test bowl do over the summer? ;)

Hi all,

184014-a3dee4ef9de7dd2fcea1aae5bb27da24.jpg

This is <"iron deficiency in Amazon Frogbit"> (Limnobium laevigatum), because it is a floating plant it has taken CO2 (carbon (C) is the nutrient that plants require most of) out of the equation.

dad12186cb152cccee11028dc11c34f4-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

That is likely it. Swords need a good deal Iron (Fe). One recommendation would be to supplement the TNC Complete with some Iron such as Seachem Iron.

Cheers,
Michael
Right lads thanks. Will pass the info on. Its kind of Ironic for TNC to call itself complete.

Right lads thanks. Will pass the info on. Its kind of Ironic for TNC to call itself complete.
Well, TNC Complete is actually pretty Complete ... We didn't ask you how much you dose? perhaps your too low on the dosing ... but anyway, Fe is always a bit tricky as its timely bio availability is guided to a large extent by pH - depending on the chelate. So one way to overcome this might be to up the dosage. Personally, I would go with an alternative Iron source - at least for a while.

Cheers,
Michael

"Excess nutrients are not the cause of algae problems in planted aquaria" might be the more verbose way of phrasing "nutrients don't cause algae". How'd your plants in your RO water test bowl do over the summer? ;)

That's not quite the point I'm making, I don't grow plants in RO, neither would I expect them to grow. What I was saying, is that if you remove nutrients algae doesn't seem to grow

Well, TNC Complete is actually pretty Complete ... We didn't ask you how much you dose? perhaps your too low on the dosing ... but anyway, Fe is always a bit tricky as its timely bio availability is guided to a large extent by pH - depending on the chelate. So one way to overcome this might be to up the dosage. Personally, I would go with an alternative Iron source - at least for a while.

Cheers,
Michael
Despite the fact all three of his tanks are planted this is the first time hes looked into ferts. I dont know if the sword can be saved, but hes only been using it at the recommended dose the last fortnight. Hes having an issue with some Val in another tank which although looks ok is half the size its supposed to be.

Its obviously a question of if he wants to keep plants he needs to look into their requirements otherwise its going to turn out expensive for him. He tends to leave the hows, and whys to me which i dont mind as im gaining knowledge of what's needed along the way. I do feel kind of responsible for his tanks, as he cant do them himself.

The other thing im thinking of is compiling a list of plants that are not so demanding, but appreciate some form of fertilizer.

Did these containers have airtight lids? If so, try leaving the lids off for a day or two and see what happens.
Cheers!

Hi all,
I dont know if the sword can be saved,
It definitely can be saved, usually when you add <"Liebig's limiting nutrient"> the plant picks up really quickly. If your plants are nitrogen (N)_ deficient and you add nitrogen, <"you get greening"> that you can see in one or two hours, same <"applies with magnesium (Mg)">. the plant can export them to the deficient photosynthetic tissue pretty much instantly.

These are <"non-nutrient deficient floating plants"> and you can see the depth of green colour.
Fe is always a bit tricky as its timely bio availability is guided to a large extent by pH - depending on the chelate. So one way to overcome this might be to up the dosage. Personally, I would go with an alternative Iron source - at least for a while.
However, as @MichaelJ says iron (Fe) is different, it forms a lot of <"insoluble compounds"> and isn't mobile in the plant, so it is only new leaves, formed after iron (Fe++(+)) ions are plant available that are a healthy. The plant can't export <"that iron to the older tissue">, because <" iron isn't mobile within the plant">.

cheers Darrel

Back