• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae Collector?

I’m having an issue with brown algae in one of my tanks and noticed that it was growing on a cleaning magnet that I keep in the tank. Magnet easily removed, cleaned and replaced. It then occurred to me that perhaps I could deliberately place something in the tank to “collect” the diatoms to easily remove them from the tank. Assuming the tank can only generate a certain amount of brown algae if I could collect it in something easily removed and cleaned then it may help in reducing this eyesore. It seems to me the “collector” must not be overly large in itself but should have a large surface area. It needs to be easily cleaned and it would be nice if it didn’t look overly untidy in the tank. Perhaps it may even look attractive in its own way. The absorbent part would also benefit from being light in colour so you could see when it’s dirty.
Obviously I could just hang a small bag of ceramic noodles in a net bag but that hardly looks very nice! There are a couple of places I might be able to hide something of the right shape and size. Anyone got any ideas or even heard of such a device before? Also, how would you clean something porous of diatoms? Bleach, Peroxide, Citric Acid or perhaps boiling water? Just throwing up some ideas.

Back