• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae and java moss won't grow

b1zbaz

Hi all I have a 190 litre aquarium with discus and cories plus some schooling rummy nose tetras I do very frequent water changes using half r o water and half tap water my ph is constantly 6.8 with no movement whatsoever the tank has been setup for around 2 years the problem I'm getting is algae growth I have moved the tank as it was in direct sunlight it's growing mainly on my java fern I have a pressurised co2 system but don't know where to look as my next trial as its really beginning to annoy me plus my java moss won't grow it's still green just not growing

Re: Algae and java moss won't grow

My co2 is on 24 hours a day should it be turned off at night

What fertiliser are you adding and what is your light/CO2 timing like?

there is no need for your co2 to be on when your lights are off, this wont achieve anything and is just a waste of co2 and money :( as for your algae some correct me if im wrong but co2 does not in any way affect algae growth, if anything its due to to much light and too little co2. co2 doesn't enhance growth just like fertz will not enhance algae growth.. how long are you lights on for??

My bubble counter was very slow about a bubble every 3 secs I have turned it up to a bubble a sec I use jbl clay balls lights are standard juwel with reflectors

Is the flow hitting the moss? What about critters? Are there shrimps who are doing some cleaning.

Moss can be grown in many ways and if you are already uppying the light and co2 it should go boom. What is your tanks tempreture? sometimes certain mosses dont grow too well.

Tank temp is just below 28 c I have no shrimp but do Hoover tank every three days the java moss was free flowing but I have just made an attempt at attaching it to bog wood I want to make a full wall of moss but can't seem to grow it whatsoever how long after th lights coming on should you see photosynthesis

What are critters

Critters I meant was clean up crew. Amanos, shrimps, snails etc :)

Moss does take a while to settle, but once it does it grows wildly.

so true, I have had some weeping moss that was almost dead, attached to some wood in my jungle nano. It had been in there for almost 6-8 weeks doing nothing and this weekend i was about to take it all out and bin it but I can see bright green runners coming from it.. now i can see it beginning to grow healthily and bright :) so pleased I waited for it to bloom!

Gonna turn co2 off at night from now on

b1zbaz said:
Gonna turn co2 off at night from now on

Try and purchase a Co2 Solenoid valve if possible. Turning co2 on and off manually is an ok method, till you forget one night..!

Also, one day you could turn it up to 1bps, the next 1.5 bps, then the next 1.2bps etc. This would induce Algaes such as BBA or Staghorn, because of the day to day fluctuation of co2 levels.

If you can't get a Solenoid, leave it as you were.

Alternatively, turn it up and have an air pump turn on at night. But this method seems a waste of gas to me.

:)

I have not got a huge amount of greenery at the moment would a picture help

ynuhegas.jpg
avyzu2uh.jpg
utuqy3a4.jpg

The lights are twin t5s think the bulbs are called natural

The lights are on 11 hours a day is co2 better going into filter

Back