• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Air pump

Gregory Day

I understand the not needing air bubbles when lights are on when the plants are producing oxygen but after lights out would I then need more surface agitation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I understand the not needing air bubbles when lights are on when the plants are producing oxygen but after lights out would I then need more surface agitation
Generally it is a good idea, often people have an air-pump on a timer switch, but whether it is actually necessary depends a little bit on tank architecture.

If you have a tank with a large volume to surface area ratio (say a 4' x 18' x 15") it may benefit from an air pump to help disperse the extra CO2 at the end of the photo-period. Wide shallow tanks are always OK (they have a large gas exchange surface)

Usually when people add CO2 they have pretty meaty water circulation anyway, so gas exchange isn't a problem.

If you have low tech tanks it is still better to have reasonable water movement, but it doesn't matter how you get there.

Have a look at <"Does surface agitation...."> and links, it is quite long thread, but should prove useful.

cheers Darrel

Back