• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Air pump filter or internal?

Daalamist

Seedling
I have a 5 gallon tank that I’m setting up to be low tech but I’m confused about the two types of filters and which kind is best for my size of tank and if water flow is crucial for plant growth, etc. I am also on a very tight budget so can’t buy anything fancy.
I got my tank second hand with an air pump included but no filter. Should I buy a pump driven filter to attach to it or buy a relatively cheap internal filter?
I’ve seen an internal one called Superfish aquaflow on amazon for £11 and has good reviews ‍♀️
But then there’s little corner pump driven sponges for like £4.
I’m also afraid of electrocuting myself with an internal one. I’m prone to doing stupid things in absence of mind
Advice appreciated

A Hamburg Matten Filter (HMF) is a great air driven option for small tanks. If you shop around you should be able to get one for £20.

I would say to consider where this tank is going to be located. Air driven filters can be noisy. Something to think of if its in a bedroom.

Hi
if U opt for internal filter instead of sponge one.Go for the Hidom AP-1000L of ebay or smaller size models if needed they are under a £6 and are really powerful,compact and silent
Cant fault them for the price
Regards Konsa

You might also like to consider how you can best hide the equipment. I went with an air powered sponge filter that I have placed underneath the hardscape so it is out of sight :)

Back