• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

air in filter/reactor how?

Paulus

I am just wondering. i have an eheim 2217 and sometimes i hear some air inside it. but where is the air coming from? once the filter is completly full of water how is it possible it blows air sometimes inside? when it blows the air out i gets inside the co2 reactor (aquamedic 1000). and ofcourse the air inside will full the reactor. so after 2 or 3 days half of it is air and the other half is water and ofcourse co2.

How to fix this or what is the problem? any ideas?

to give an example:

lucht.jpg

Paulus said:
I am just wondering. i have an eheim 2217 and sometimes i hear some air inside it. but where is the air coming from? once the filter is completly full of water how is it possible it blows air sometimes inside? when it blows the air out i gets inside the co2 reactor (aquamedic 1000). and ofcourse the air inside will full the reactor. so after 2 or 3 days half of it is air and the other half is water and ofcourse co2.

How to fix this or what is the problem? any ideas?

to give an example:

lucht.jpg

Paulus

May I ask what / where does the clear pipe that is attached to the air drain tap go to - this is the tap on the right hand side of your reactor. You should open this to allow any trap air within the reactor.
Regards
paul.

its just a small airtube. when i turned the drain tab open for the first time i was a bit to late with closing it. so water came out :rolleyes: now with the airtube on it i can turn it open without the result of water inside the stand. it will flow trough the hose :)

but i need to use this method after a day or 3 because of the air inside the reactor. i know a little bit of air inside isn't a problem. but this is way to much in my opinion. :(

Hi,

Are you sure that its air getting inside the filter? The filter your using does seem a lttle underpowered for the AM1000 but it largely depends on your installation (i.e. filter media, head height, pipe arrangements etc.etc.) and how much co2 your pumpinig into the unit. It could be possible if the pressure where to build up enough inside the reactor for co2 bubbles to be forced against the flow and find there way into your filter.

For the above reason IMO you first you need to establish that its definatly air and not co2 thats getting into the filter. Once your sure its air check your filter inlet pipework.

I've had a similar problem before. In my case very small ammounts of air was being sucked in via a loose join in the incoming pipework above the tanks water line. Thing is it never leaked water from this join but after remaking the join the problem was resolved. I now remake all the joins when I have dismantled the pipework after cleaning as it only takes a few seconds with a sharp knife to get a fresh bit of hose to work with, you then know the new connection is good and it saves the hassle of finding a leak if one were to occur later. The downside obviously is that your hoses get shorter and shorter but I've come to view hoses now as just another consumable item and ensure there's plenty of spare to start with.

A quick little tip when making tight fitting joins in flexible PVC pipework is to just soak the end of the hose in hot water straight from the tap before trying to fit it. It makes the PVC very pliable and a relative doddle to fit.

Regards, Chris.

Back