• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AI Prime 16HD Reef?

KrisPol

Hi All,

I’m setting up a new tropical aquarium and have a spare AI Prime 16HD reef light.

I was wondering if anybody had ever tried using it on a tropical tank, at what settings and what results did you get?

Just trying to save some cash where possible and prevent spending £300 on a new light.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated 😉

I think it would work, but not as well as a freshwater light. The reef light massively priorities blue and white light over red and green light. Plants prefer more red and green light in their spectrum, and will also look better under that light too. You'd want to run it at a setting with a bit less blue, lots of white, red and green. You can see the differences in spectrum below.

prime16HD_reef_spectrum.png
prime_freshwater_spectrum.png

I actually have been using a secondhand AI Prime 16HD Fresh on my marine tank to grow macroalgae, it's been working well but one of my corals isn't thriving as much as I'd like. I would happily swap my AI Prime 16HD Freshwith your reef version if you like. If you're interested I'll PM you.

Hi All,

I’m setting up a new tropical aquarium and have a spare AI Prime 16HD reef light.

I was wondering if anybody had ever tried using it on a tropical tank, at what settings and what results did you get?

Just trying to save some cash where possible and prevent spending £300 on a new light.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated 😉
What size is your new tank? Why would you have to spend £300 on a light?

If you don't do the trade just keep in mind the light, even w/ all the blue, will "grow stuff" just fine.
Stems may be a bit compact due to the high blue effect on morphology but that is a look thing.
Adjusting it to more "fw" look you would pretty much throw out all the "blue" (blue/violet/uv) channels out as to power and par.
Adding in regular (not rb) violet, uv to taste.

An est with just the "cool whites" (no idea on their k value but assume close to 6500k) red and green should give you a fairly normal
color.
Of course you will be using 6 out of the 16 available leds.
Roughly translates to 20W only, though the exact diode wattage per channel is ??? nor is the >100% accounted for.

ai16hd.JPG

What size is your new tank? Why would you have to spend £300 on a light?
It’s only 120l. I have an old tropical 10W light but it looks really dim on a full power. All of the lights I have found that I actually like are all over £250. Tank is fairly small so could go away with one unit/downlight without loosing on even spread.

It’s only 120l. I have an old tropical 10W light but it looks really dim on a full power. All of the lights I have found that I actually like are all over £250. Tank is fairly small so could go away with one unit/downlight without loosing on even spread.
Maybe list which you didn't like and tank dimensions..
Otherwise picking a choice is going in blind.

This is relatively new with a funny way to schedule.
Amazon product ASIN B08TTDN58K
Things like rimmed or rimless matter..ect.

Have you checked out eBay or the for sale section on here.?

Photos of the tank below. I was looking at ADA lights hence the price tag. I do like the look of the ADA AQUASKY RGB 60 - Silver but not sure if this would have been an overkill?!

IMG_5384.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg

Thanks.. yea that changes the conversation a bit.
No "bar" lights unless you cut the emergent stick out.
No worry about a rimmed tank.
Rectangular tank so no symmetric puck or keeping in mind the give and take of said puck.
"Need" about 30 dimmable watts.
A short list with a few catches:
Amazon product ASIN B0BCHT52FD
Need to get the freshwater version.

2 Fluval Nano 3.0's
I'd shop around. Should be in the $100 pound range. The saltwater ones are.

Back