• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

After a lifelong absence I've got the bug again - advice req

Lord_Lucan

Greetings

Kept aquariums as a kid before entering into the trade in the 80's where I spent many years before becoming fed up with it all.

Anyway, just set up a little aquarium for my (grown up) daughter and have got the bug again.

I have decided to get a 48 x 20 x 30 (inches) aquarium obviously with an emphasis on plants. Since leaving the industry in the 90's everything has evolved massively so I seek some guidance and comments please.

Lighting - thinking about Arcadia OT2 Over-Tank Luminaire
Filtration - thinking about Fluval G3 Power Filter
Substrate - thinking fine lime free gravel
Co2 system - haven't a clue, these were fairly new when I left the fray
Plants - best supplier? Prepared to travel

Anything I haven't mentioned but should have?

Thanks in advance

Re: After a lifelong absence I've got the bug again - advice

Welcome to the forum, there is so much reading on the site you can find every answer you need tenfold!
However if you want some instant advice I would study the problems revolving around a 30'' deep tank as you will be needing some seriously expensive lights if you plan on keeping any form of carpet plant.

foxfish said:
Welcome to the forum, there is so much reading on the site you can find every answer you need tenfold!
However if you want some instant advice I would study the problems revolving around a 30'' deep tank as you will be needing some seriously expensive lights if you plan on keeping any form of carpet plant.

Thanks foxfish

This is a bit of a blow as I like tall aquariums and yes I was planning on a carpet of plants covering the bottom. I don't mind spending a few quid on lighting but everything has its limit. This is what I was thinking of http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/ ... -2631.html Do you think it adaquate and if not could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks to others as well, since posting I have found some very interesting reading

Members comments and opinions on plant suppliers would be welcome, everywhere I look the quality is awful.

Well the lighting of a deep tank might not be quite so simple as you think - 30'' deep will need a very powerful light source but very powerful lights also cause algae so to avoid this problem you need lots of C02 & in turn lots of ferts!
As a guideline 2 xT5s the length of the tank works very well, you can grow nice carpets down to about 20-22'', there after it all gets a bit more demanding!
Of course there will be folk who have beautiful 30'' tanks & it is certainly possible but just maybe not so easy to achieve.
Also you could think about different designs for very deep tanks with lots of wood & not necessarily using any light demanding plants.
Certain LED lights on the market might be bright enough but most likely you are looking a metal halide light to get a carpet a 30''.
I would keep reading & searching the forum until you grasp the basic concepts of all the criteria required for an algae free beautiful tank before you order anything :)
Re the plant suppliers - look at the index at the foot of our board index page.

Back