• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice please 🙂

mario

Hello everyone, I am planning my return to the hobby after a long break. I want to start from where I left, that is with a low(ish) tech tank (no CO2 injection)
As a substrate I was thinking garden centre topsoil capped with play sand. Being the sand very fine can it be an obstacle to the roots? Also does the topsoil have enough organic matter (compared to compost) to produce CO2 once decomposition is established?
I am thinking DSM to establish the roots of some carpeting plants (mini haigrass, helantium green, marsilea hirsuta), then flood, plant some stems, and use liquid carbon to help the transition to the submerged low CO2 environment. Is it worth trying or is bound to failure?
Third and last question: if we believe that exchanges between water and the atmosphere are beneficial not only for oxygenation but also to keep CO2 levels stable, would a powerhead with Venturi be useful? I will be already using a hang on back filter.
Thank you!

Mario

Hi Mario, you can use topsoil topped with play sand. The sand won't cause problems for the roots. Have a look at the soil substrate thread, it should have the answers you want.
As for the Venturi question, the size of the bubbles created by the Venturi will be too big for any significant CO²/O² exchange. Decent surface agitation should be sufficient. Venturis tend to be noisy but if you like the look, go for it.

Hi all,
Also does the topsoil have enough organic matter (compared to compost) to produce CO2 once decomposition is established?
I'm a great <"Diana Walstad fan">, but I'd rather rely on water turn-over for gas exchange (<"both CO2 and oxygen">), rather than <"not having any water circulation"> and having dissolved CO2 from decomposition build up.
Third and last question: if we believe that exchanges between water and the atmosphere are beneficial not only for oxygenation but also to keep CO2 levels stable, would a powerhead with Venturi be useful?
I'm a <"venturi fan">, in fact I'm <"an oxygen fan"> generally. Picture from <"The dissolved gas bubble.......">.

venturi2_zpsdxwhr1q8-jpg-jpg.jpg

As for the Venturi question, the size of the bubbles created by the Venturi will be too big for any significant CO²/O² exchange. Decent surface agitation should be sufficient.
You can "cheat" by aiming the venturi at a sponge, the waffled surface sponges and PPI10 or PPI20 sponges are <"particularly good for retaining bubbles">.

-php-attachmentid-15562-stc-1-d-1254795378-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Third and last question: if we believe that exchanges between water and the atmosphere are beneficial not only for oxygenation but also to keep CO2 levels stable, would a powerhead with Venturi be useful? I will be already using a hang on back filter.
Thank you!

Mario

normally we try to adjust the hang on back filter outflow to be almost flush with the water level to minimise 'splashing' as the water cascades out of the HOB . If you allow the water to 'fall' a little distance back into the tank, the 'splashing will introduce air bubbles into the tank., as long as you don't mind the splashing noise.

Thanks everyone for the contributions! I am definitely going to run a 'splashy' filter and a venturi when I'll finally get to set up my aquarium. I am tempted to try a little experiment to measure CO2 with and without water agitation. I have soft water so even a small change in CO2 should be detectable with the change in pH

Back