• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on this hardscape please.

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi members,
So I have received my NA 90 cm since two weeks, and I have been looking for my sand, rocks and wood.
The last few days I have been playing with hardscape. After a nice realization, I don't know why I decided to change things, and I end up with something horrible. So I stopped to think again and start from scratch. Here is what I end up with.
I wanted to have you critics on this scape before flooding and start a proper journal.
Unfortunately, the picture doesn't really reveal the effect of the scape.
A bit stress to show what I have done haha.

5yhysata.jpg

zyjy9eme.jpg

yjyqu9ap.jpg

So guys I am open to all critics !! :D

Thanks

Reactions: tim
Hi Zanguli.
Love those rocks!
It looks great and very natural, except perhaps for the very top rock which looks a little at odds with the rest. Maybe move that to the far left rear and add a couple of smaller ones in front of it to transition better like the others? you could even raise it higher in the corner to give a fraction more height. Alternatively if you have another piece of that root wood you could try to integrate that around it?
Really nice layout though mate, will look stunning when planted.....have you got as far as a plant list yet?
Cheerio,
Ady.

I think that looks good. The hill has a multi-layered look that will look nice with plants. The big peak right at top sticks out a bit too much at the moment, but should soften with planting.

Hi Zanguli.
Love those rocks!
It looks great and very natural, except perhaps for the very top rock which looks a little at odds with the rest. Maybe move that to the far left rear and add a couple of smaller ones in front of it to transition better like the others? you could even raise it higher in the corner to give a fraction more height. Alternatively if you have another piece of that root wood you could try to integrate that around it?
Really nice layout though mate, will look stunning when planted.....have you got as far as a plant list yet?
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady,
thanks for your input mate !!! I was thinking exactly the same about the top stone, I will try another one that I will place in flat position. If I move it to the rear I think that I will have a dead spot there with flow. I will make adjustment tonight and take shots. Hope my sister can come on friday to take pictures with her canon D5 like that I can start the journal :D

very interesting stones...I like them...the scape looks good too....especially the one without the wood...I wonder about your plant list too

Hi Martin,
Yes I know... the one with only rocks was nice ....

So for both of you here is my plant selection, I wanted to wait for the journal to show it ... but you guys give me the envy to show it. And it is a good idea like that you could help m in the choice.

So on foreground (flat part) I will put HC, I have a load of HC in the pond, and really want to have success this time with this plant.
On the slop I will put some staurogyne repens. I already have it in my 20 G. It will be place in three spot on the slop.
than I have some crypt petchii that will go just over the stauro.
after I have some crypt mi hoya, undulata, legrois, and an other cryp that I frogot the name lol.
For the wood I will put some moss on it that I will trim to stays low and I have also 2 pots of anubia nana petite that I will put on the neginig of the long wood.
for the background I am bit lost .... if you look at the side view you will see that there is a long free zone behind the long root, I would like to put rotala mac, that I will trim to stay low. on the top of the edge that's where I have a problem !!!!
here are the plants I can put there : Pogostermon stelata, or rotala rontund. red or green or rotala indica, or hygrophilia polysperma sunset or ludwigia arcuata, Hemianthus Micrantemoid. I have too much choice haha I have also loads of microsorum pteroptus and a big microsorum pteroptus.
I like the choice of Pogo stelata + HM !?

........ in fact you can see that I need help hahaha and if you athor idea of plants let me know maybe I have it in the pond.

thanks guys for your answer.

cheers
Zanguli

That's an interesting plant choice and its great to have it all growing somewhere ready to be transplanted. I personally don't know about playing stems on the top. There isn't any "mid-ground" to hide the ugly bottom parts and its not easy to maintain a nice shape by trimming it low all the time. Especially plants like Pogostemon stellata which can grow pretty big or Hygrophillia polysperma, which can grow like a weed.

That's an interesting plant choice and its great to have it all growing somewhere ready to be transplanted. I personally don't know about playing stems on the top. There isn't any "mid-ground" to hide the ugly bottom parts and its not easy to maintain a nice shape by trimming it low all the time. Especially plants like Pogostemon stellata which can grow pretty big or Hygrophillia polysperma, which can grow like a weed.

Hi mate,
to hide the ugly part of the stem plants, I will use the crypts that will grow quite enough to hide these parts.
Yes it's nice to have all these plants in the pond :D the only down ward is that they are growing in emerge form so I have to induce transition before putting them in the tank.
So I have to go this afternoon to the pond and collect the plants to put them in bucket and let them float for 2 weeks. this will do the transition from emerge to submerge.
This means that I will not flood the tank before two weeks.

Alternatively if you have another piece of that root wood you could try to integrate that around it?
Really nice layout though mate.

Hi Ady
I have not done some arrangement yesterday, hope I will have time tonight !
But I think that you are right, maybe a piece of root coming from top left, a like George hill side. Gorge s tank is big part of my inspiration for that scape. So maybe I ll try the wood option plus small stones.

Thanks for the idea and your sharp eyes !!!

Cheers

Yes it's nice to have all these plants in the pond the only down ward is that they are growing in emerge form so I have to induce transition before putting them in the tank. So I have to go this afternoon to the pond and collect the plants to put them in bucket and let them float for 2 weeks. this will do the transition from emerge to submerge. This means that I will not flood the tank before two weeks.

Will that work? Without good lights and CO2, I thought the transition will be harder. Some will melt and cannot be replaced with submersed growth without good lights and CO2. Most of the plants we get are emersed anyway, so transition is a problem for most of us. I would suggest just planting it immediately

Will that work? Without good lights and CO2, I thought the transition will be harder. Some will melt and cannot be replaced with submersed growth without good lights and CO2. Most of the plants we get are emersed anyway, so transition is a problem for most of us. I would suggest just planting it immediately

Hi Flygja,

Yes that must work lol. You can read in this link where Clive explain why it is working.
This is great to know that, because all my plants are growing emerge in my pond.
"NEW" PLANT Congo | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Regards

I did some minor change.
On the left added a small piece of wood, change the stone at the top. But not very satisfied with the top. I have a piece of wood that I have to try ! Didn't have the chance to take pic with a good camera. So sorry for the poor quality and the small reflection in the middle.
I think that I am not far from what I want. The spaces on the top will be full of crypt and one stem plant at the back of them. This will add height and balance the scape. All the slop of the hill will be stauro even in between the stones. And the flat part HC that it.
I have to give a try to that piece of wood.
Here is a quick shot.
y2yhahug.jpg

Thanks

Hi Zanguli

Is this rock from Pool Malebo? Or did you bring it from somewhere eslse? Really nice!
Roland

That s great !!!
I have also a house for the week end at Maluku !!
That's weird to see someone of ukaps that have already been in Kinshasa.
You came for professional purposes ?
Best regards

Back