• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on growing eriocaulons from seed

Progen

1K9k7TK.jpg

I got some seeds of 3 different species off a guy from Facebook last year. They germinated in around a week but died a week odd later so this year, I got more seeds from the same source but decided to try growing them differently.

They were planted in a daily sprayed wabikusa with Amazonia last year and then another group was planted in Amazonia capped with black gravel with water just below the gravel level. Lots germinated in both but as mentioned earlier, died.

This time, from left to right, I tried spray moistened Amazonia, waterlogged Amazonia and spray moistened garden compost.

After 5 days, the compost tray was the first to show seedlings followed by the waterlogged Amazonia. None so far in spray moistened Amazonia.

Now the question is what else do I have to look out for? Keep them drier or wetter after germination and when do I plant them underwater?

Last edited:
Seems like in the two trays which have seedlings, only Black Ball and Hainan Island have germinated. The third type is supposed to be Amami Oshima. Is it known to be difficult or slow?

Nice read. As yours are slightly infront of mine i maybe able to pick up things just in time for mine. I did read somewhere on the net about a guy that grew some in pots in his tank. So germinated fully submerged i suppose. Is this something you have tryed? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is about the only thing i found on the net.

bolbiaquarium.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/growing-eriocaulon-from-seeds.html?m=1

I transferred some to a tank after a week plus and those which the snails didn't manage to uproot are doing fine. Noticed that they have two leaves now.

xz4D5cI.jpg

While that article is useful, it didn't state what species he was growing. Eriocaulons come from many parts of the globe from tropical to temperate so I'm sure they have different needs.

Last edited:
This is true. He seems to be a sight thats selling a few different varieties of these seeds. All info i have read states they need low ph slightly acidic. I have put mine in ro water but the ph is stil just above 7. I may try lowering this a bit. You might be able to message the guy on your specific species and see if he thinks it requires any different?

Well, my tap water's pH is like 4 - 5 and the replanted ones are in Aquasoil so I should be fine for the time being. :D

Stagnated and some got uprooted by the snails. I intend to get another batch to try.

Ok kool. Well i have around 3 tiny shoots on mine now so will keep an eye on them. Hopefully they will continue to grow and not die. Cheers

Well, my tap water's pH is like 4 - 5 and the replanted ones are in Aquasoil so I should be fine for the time being. :D
Double check that. Tap water ph should be higher as it will otherwise corrode the pipes an your mouth. Did you check ph with your meter? If so, check calibration.

I've checked multiple times with at least two test kits. All came up orange as in very orange, no doubt about it kind of orange. Have tried dechlorinating and having a powerhead running for a day or two. Also green. In the very beginning before there was fish, I didn't use sodium bicarbonate. After a few weeks, water still tested pretty acidic.

Tested all of the other tanks and animal drinking pools in the house. All acidic except for one with a mixture of gravel. That one was neutral on its own.

I live in a third world country where corroded pipes are a way of life, urban or rural. There was another place where air kept getting into the pipes but nobody at the water supply company or ministry knew what to do and told us to just bear with it.

That's third world for you! :rolleyes:

I see. Interesting. If you are injecting co2, it may be an idea to add some carbonates to bring kh up to 4 or so.

Otherwise if it's possible check the tds of the tap water as well. With erios, you'd probably prefer water with low hardness if possible.

Until now, it's either my eyesight failing or the JBL and Tetra GH kits were defective or my water's super soft but I haven't see the a red to green change when testing GH. It's a yellowish green at the first drop onwards and it just becomes darker and darker yellowish green.

KH in my tanks were usually pretty high. Close to or around 2 digits but it's about 6 where the little erios are right now. pH is around base. As usual, GH readings cannot be obtained. I've tried twice before squirting about 20+ drops. It just became more and more yellowish green.

Back