• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice needed (New Tank Friday!)

Pricey32

Ordered myself a new tank the fluval roma 200 and it comes friday, like before going planted and want to go with small gravel. Atm unsure wether to go black gravel or natural. What is best to go underneath? Im keeping it low tech with no co2 but im using seachem flourish weekly. Want advice so i can get things ready as i have to transfer my fish over the weekend.

At the moment i have some red platys, danios some black widow tetras and a couple of plecos.

If you're just using gravel then it doesn't matter that much, it mainly depends on what you like best. As Kipper said certain fish may show less certain colouration against or not contrast very well against certain coloured gravel, it's a defence mechanism from above predation. I had Red cherry shrimp in a tank with cat litter which is reddish in colouration and the shrimp just looked brown in colour, they looked a lot better in my other tank with brown gravel.
Word to the wise, if you're swapping them over in one day if you can I would do it gradually over a number of weeks using water from the original tank and if possible some of the media out of the filter. I know this might not be possible if the tank is going in the same position. Failing that use as much stuff as you can from the original and plenty of good sized water changes to start with.

If you're just using gravel then it doesn't matter that much, it mainly depends on what you like best. As Kipper said certain fish may show less certain colouration against or not contrast very well against certain coloured gravel, it's a defence mechanism from above predation. I had Red cherry shrimp in a tank with cat litter which is reddish in colouration and the shrimp just looked brown in colour, they looked a lot better in my other tank with brown gravel.
Word to the wise, if you're swapping them over in one day if you can I would do it gradually over a number of weeks using water from the original tank and if possible some of the media out of the filter. I know this might not be possible if the tank is going in the same position. Failing that use as much stuff as you can from the original and plenty of good sized water changes to start with.

Thanks im literally taking everything over, ive got a sponge filter that goin to go straight in and all the media out my juwel filter im going to put in the u4. Then im taking all the water from the old tank to the new so theres only about a quarter of a tank new going in

Nice one mate. You might have issues with the water clearing up but Shouldn't do the fish too much harm.

Not much benefit using old water ,and assuming weekly water changes are taking place in existing tank or Bi-weekly,, the source water for your tank and that in the tank should be close to same/same so no harm with using mostly fresh/clean water for the majority.
If I insisted on using some of the old water,I would drain this amount off before I began removing substrate from existing tank lest all manner of organic matter be disturbed and then dumped in the new tank to fuel possible ammonia/algae spike.

Yeah I would assume that the op will be siphoning off some water to store the fish somewhere while the tank gets stripped down. More he uses of this the better initially. Less stress for the fish in a clearly stressful time for them and hopefully get some good bacteria in there from the off and get the ball rolling on the nitrogen cycle as soon as possible.

Yeah I would assume that the op will be siphoning off some water to store the fish somewhere while the tank gets stripped down. More he uses of this the better initially. Less stress for the fish in a clearly stressful time for them and hopefully get some good bacteria in there from the off and get the ball rolling on the nitrogen cycle as soon as possible.

Yeah did the same with my last tank,fish are stored in a black storage tub to try and reduce as much stress as possible. I always stick my airstone in also

Nice one pal. I was in a similar situation not so long ago. I also put a couple of pipes in the 5 gall bucket I was storing the fish in so I could carry on running my external filter.

Good luck with it, I hope it goes well.

Back