• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice and tips for catching shrimp

Danielle324

Hi everyone
Any advice or tips on catching and moving neo shrimp? I plan on moving all my shrimp out of my community tank and into their new shrimp only one. I’ve recently had a population explosion and I’m not sure how easy it’s going to be collecting all the babies. Would I need to acclimatise them to the new tank, even though the temperature, hardness etc is all the same?
Thanks
Danielle

If your params are equal, id put them straight in

stop feeding them directly, they will still get uneaten fish food etc and after a week or so ,feed at front of tank with bottom feeder tab or similar, youll need a lot of patience and it will take a few goes, especially for the babies
It would be a good time time to cull your shrimp, pick the best ones for your new tank
HTH

Use a plastic drink bottle with the top cut off and inverted as a trap - a bit like a shrimp-sized lobster pot. Bait it with a bit of blanched vegetable or fish food. You'll catch a few every day.
7243 - 13-December Shrimp Trap_small.jpg

If your params are equal, id put them straight in

stop feeding them directly, they will still get uneaten fish food etc and after a week or so ,feed at front of tank with bottom feeder tab or similar, youll need a lot of patience and it will take a few goes, especially for the babies
It would be a good time time to cull your shrimp, pick the best ones for your new tank
HTH
Thanks Steve that’s really helpful. I have lots of wild babies so might leave those in the old tank, especially if they’re hard to catch!

Back