• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding plants with very high nitrate levels?

Werwa

I dry cycled my new fish less plant less tank. It’s been several weeks and ammonia readings zero, nitrites .2 and nitrates 50. I added ammonia 2 days ago to keep cycle going so not concerned about nitrite level. In two days will be adding a full tank of plants. Seachem recommends adding nitrogen day 1 when planting. Should I do water change before adding plants or leave as is, but don’t add nitrogen fert , or should I leave alone and add nitrogen fert?

I dry cycled my new fish less plant less tank. It’s been several weeks and ammonia readings zero, nitrites .2 and nitrates 50. I added ammonia 2 days ago to keep cycle going so not concerned about nitrite level. In two days will be adding a full tank of plants. Seachem recommends adding nitrogen day 1 when planting. Should I do water change before adding plants or leave as is, but don’t add nitrogen fert , or should I leave alone and add nitrogen fert?

Hi @Werwa I am not entirely sure what a "dry cycle" is. Since you don't have any plants, there is nothing there to mop up the Nitrate resulting from the nitrification and that probably explains the high Nitrate levels (if the reading is indeed accurate - NO3 is hard to measure reliably). I would just go ahead and do a decent water change say 50% and put in as many plants as possible and start dosing fertilizers right away. After it settles and you start seeing some good growth your tank will be ready for gradually introducing livestock.

Cheers,
Michael

Do you mean the dry-start method?...Oh wait plant less/fish less. I would like to know what dry cycle is as well.

Perhaps I used the wrong term. I simply added pure ammonia to an aquarium with just substrate and rocks. No fish, no plants. I kept the cycle going by adding more ammonia every few days which is why my nitrates are so high. I’m struggling with doing a partial water change to lower the nitrates or just adding plants and in a week or so doing the water change. Don’t know if current high nitrate level is good or bad for the new plants.

Hi all,
Your plants will love the nitrates.
They certainly will, if you have a floating plant it isn't CO2 limited and can make use of all that nitrogen.
. I simply added pure ammonia to an aquarium with just substrate and rocks. No fish, no plants. I kept the cycle going by adding more ammonia every few days which is why my nitrates are so high.
You don't need to cycle a planted tank with ammonia, you just <"need to plant it"> and once the plants are grown in it is "fish-safe". I like the term Cory from the Aquarium Co-Op has coined, <"Seasoned Tank Time">, it is a concept we've talked about a lot on UKAPS, but without ever giving it a snappy title.

If you've got time have read through <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments">. I've a lot of time for Dr Tim, he has acknowledged that a <"lot has changed"> <"in the last 20 years">.

cheers Darrel

I’m struggling with doing a partial water change to lower the nitrates or just adding plants and in a week or so doing the water change. Don’t know if current high nitrate level is good or bad for the new plants.
Either way will work... but if your not planning on keeping your nitrate that high long term, I would just do the WC and get it down to the more reasonably 20'ish level... No reason to introduce the plants at 50 ppm (assuming your reading is correct, which is questionable)...if your not going to maintain those nitrate levels... reasonably stabile water parameters is one of the key factors for success. Either way, be it 25 ppm or 50ppm of NO3, the plants will be in for a feast!

Cheers,
Michael

Back