• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding Fresh Aquasoil

Heelllooo

Hello everyone,

I would like to add a bit of fresh Dennerlee aquasoil intro my 60L heavily planted tank housing a pair of Apisto.The tank has been running for more than a year and a half and it's very stable.

How much would you had in one time without fearing any ammonia spike at all ?

I was thinking around 2 small glass.

Another option is to add the new aquasoil into a container/bucket with some water, leave for a few weeks, empty the water and then add the soil to tank. This should help minimise ammonia.

Yes I know, this is exactly the process I would like to avoid. Since it's really a small volume total that I need to had.

For a 60L tank two 'small glasses' in one go is chancing it IMO, adding two small glass over a week is another story altogether esp if adding a bit morning and night, even a few hours between small increments helps, plus a little and often helps the bacteria population grow and be ready to deal with the spike faster

I never test pH since I run the tank at 0kH. There is no botanical or driftwood in it so I would assume a low 6.

I'm not afraid of ammonia in particular but more the spike in general with the nitrite being the danger.

I want to add a quantity which I'm sure my system would either absorb as ammonia or process to nitrate before nitrite are an issue.

Also I want to plant directly in this new soil so will disturb it a little.

Back