• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding fish to aquarium - help please

pariahrob

Hi all,

I've posted this in my journal but thought it might be sensible to add here in case different people see it.

ok, so there seems to be a massive difference of opinion on the addition of new fish. If you didn't know I had what seemed to be a white spot problem but I treated it with sera protazol. The few spots were gone over night and I've not seen any signs since. No rubbing or anything. It's been a week now.

So, I was a little concerned about adding new fish and antipofish reminded me of those concerns in my journal, as my oder of black widows may arrive tomorrow. I've spoken to a few people about it and the main suggestions are:

1. Don't add anything for another week, to be sure it's all gone

2. Add the fish and take them straight from the supplier. Don't have them put into the LFS tanks first.

3. Add the fish but give them 48 hours in the LFS tanks.

The most convincing argument I've heard is option1. Take the fish but reduce their stress by having them straight into my tank, so they only have to acclimate once. It was suggested to increase the temperature of my tank as well. Up by a few degrees. I'm a little unsure but if you have opinions I'd appreciate hearing them. I'd like to go and talk to Mike at Amazon with some ideas and knowledge. I trust his opinion and experience. His tanks are all immaculate and he appears to have huge passion for the hobby, rather than be a shop keeper.

Anyway, I may go with what he suggests but please do give me your thoughts. Last thing I want to do is cause any fish any problems.

If option a is best, do I follow that with b or c? Problem there is that the fish will have been in the LFS tanks for a week anyway! It's all too confusing.

Am I better off sticking to what Mike says, seeing as I am getting them from him?

Rob I have already replied on your journal but since you have posted separately I will reply here as well. I think you know the answer and from what you wrote you are just seeking acknowledgement. Option 1 (I don't see an option a, b, or c, LOL) is the only one you can choose in all good conscience for the fish you already have in the tank, and they have to take priority over any new fish not yet in the tank.

I know you have a good relationship with Mike at the shop, and it sounds like he is more responsible than a lot of LFS owners. However, he is still there to run a business and I find it hard to think that he does not at least moderate his advice to fit in with his "raison d'etre". Where did you buy Marvin from by the way ? Was that from Amazon ? Wherever you got him from, I am not sure the advice you got with him tied in with reality, and I am saying this not as a slap in the face, because I KNOW you did everything you could to provide a suitable environment for him, but to highlight my point that with the best will in the world, LFS's are there to make money.

Taking a fish straight from the supplier is risky in my opinion. What if they are diseased ? At least if they spend some time in an LFS tank they have time to show signs of a problem (the flipside of that is the stress can bring it out, but hey, if its there wouldn't you rather it was found out BEFORE they get in your tank and maybe kill everything you already have ?).

48 hours in the LFS tank does not give them time to settle down and would stress them more than if they were there for a week. With correct acclimatisation, healthy fish should be able to cope with the transition from transit water to LFS and then subsequently to yours a week later.

Just my tuppence worth, but hey, you asked :) You will always get people saying "Nah, chuck em in, they'll be right mate" but hey, its not their money or fish if things go belly up. Err on the side of caution in this hobby, especially where fish/fauna welfare is concerned, and can't go far wrong :)

+1 to the above, very sound advice and reasoning.

I would always let them settle in at the LFS then as Antipofish says you can observe them without increasing the risk of introducing any nasties to your tank.

Andy

pariahrob said:
Thanks chaps. That's kind of what I 'felt' to be the correct answer but wasn't sure. This site is perfect for the less experienced of us and it's people like you guys who help make this as enjoyable a hobby as it is.

Why thank you 8) That will be £39.99 please :lol: :lol: :lol:

I said enjoyable! It's expensive enough as it is!

I went in to see the LFS and he is keeping them in his tanks for a bit. I'll collect late next week. They look great by the way. Very vivid silver bodies with a hint of blue on top and lovely rich black skirts. He got in 12. Now I just have to decide how many to have. I was thinking six but eight would be fine. Maybe more.

What do you think?

Back