• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adding a filter

Kronnie

I have a new planted tank set up currently with no livestock, about 30 days old. My flow looks to be pretty good but I know that I am massively under filtered for a 300ltr tank. I think that the tank is nearly cycled, I have gone through the cloudy water stage which has cleared up in the past couple of days. I have brown algae which seems to be receding but still quite a lot hanging around especially on plant leaves and the substrate. I think I have a bit of BBA beginning to start up.

My question is when i add a further external filter is there anything specific I need to do or can I just add it and let it mature over time. Not sure if this will have a detrimental affect on the tank,

Thanks

Hi
You can switch some of the filter sponge from the running filter to the new filter, then your good to go!
Or squeeze some of the gunk "good bacteria" from the one you are using atm.....into the canister of the new filter.
I prefer the first method makes less mess of the aquarium;)

I would purchase some fast-growing stem plants and use them as floaters to help as a filtering aid.
This is a method I always use and works well👍
hoggie

Hi im new to this I have a 45l tank how big does filter be bigger the better ? Or can it be to big ?

Thanks

Hi Hughesy124,
it depends on what you're planning for your tank.
If you're going to inject CO2 the general rule is that you need the filter's claimed flow to be 10x tank volume per hour, to ensure good distribution of the CO2.
If not, you can go for a less powerful filter, or stick with high flow according to what your planned fish prefer. Some are happier with a gentler current.
But generally bigger is better, within reason.

Back