• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adapting Plants After Dry Start Method

Zedan

I'd like to get opinions on this method of adapting plants to life underwater after a dry start.

What are your experiences with plants adapting after dry start method?

Specifically with Dwarf Hairgrass (acicularis eleocharis sp. mini), anubias, and Ludwigia Mini Super Red. Or otherwise, has anyone tried this method?

I have had quite a successful dry start going for 10 weeks now, with the above plants. I'm beginning to see signs of mold so I would like to flood the tank soon. However, after all this time and effort, I want to ensure that the carpet survives. I had planned to setup DIY CO2 to give the plants the best possible chance of survival. However, it is a lot of hassle and I wonder if it is necessary. Would liquid carbon (Excel, Glutaraldehyde, EasyCarbo etc.) be sufficient? You can view the journal in my signature.

Thanks

Zedan

Specifically with Dwarf Hairgrass (acicularis eleocharis sp. mini)

My DSM was with MHG and micro swords 12hr photoperiod and I got mold but no big deal just air it a bit easy in the later stages as the plants was well rooted. Mold got worse once flooded mainly on wood but didnt last long.

Flood and CO2 on and ferts 6hr photo period

DIY CO2 to give the plants the best possible chance of survival

Not sure if DIY CO2 is best start !, if your planning CO2 do it well or dont do it. With DIY CO2 fluctuating [CO2] can be hard to avoid and plants like stable [CO2]

My DSM was with MHG and micro swords 12hr photoperiod and I got mold but no big deal just air it a bit easy in the later stages as the plants was well rooted. Mold got worse once flooded mainly on wood but didnt last long.

Flood and CO2 on and ferts 6hr photo period

Not sure if DIY CO2 is best start !, if your planning CO2 do it well or dont do it. With DIY CO2 fluctuating [CO2] can be hard to avoid and plants like stable [CO2]

The goal is definitely low-tech eventually, I think the tank will run fine without CO2 but the carpet will not grow much after flooding. I have also thought of filling the tank slowly, over the course of a week. Expecting the slow rise of the water level to ease the DHG into submersed life.
Did CO2 injection prevent die-off after the flood?

Did CO2 injection prevent die-off after the flood?

Dunno TBH
upload_2017-2-10_23-2-19-png.png

Pic above is on flood day and the carpet plants had great roots so I assume they had lots of energy reserves which I think did the trick IMO

Whats your photoperiod length been for the DSM I would advise 12hrs and max intensity. If you planning to have it low tech I would say dont bother with the CO2! most folk who use CO2 have CO2 related issues but those who dont have CO2 dont have any CO2 related issues

Dunno TBH
upload_2017-2-10_23-2-19-png.png

Pic above is on flood day and the carpet plants had great roots so I assume they had lots of energy reserves which I think did the trick IMO

Whats your photoperiod length been for the DSM I would advise 12hrs and max intensity. If you planning to have it low tech I would say dont bother with the CO2! most folk who use CO2 have CO2 related issues but those who dont have CO2 dont have any CO2 related issues

Really nice colour there! Photoperiod is 12 hours. But in the last few days I've replace the 12W LED light with a 30W LED floodlight! Just to coax any last growth at the edges and shaded patches. Not sure if it's too much, about 20-25cm above the DHG...

Back