• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Adam's (Tony's old) 5ft Monster tank

Nice job with the tank and stand. It's a nice spot there. The cat is going to be excited too, you've got to keep a chair nearby :)

Ah you are living on of my dreams too. I guess most fish keepers started out with goldfish or guppies and will always have a soft spot for them.

Yeah, Isn't it the way. I started fish keeping more seriously with guppies and I still have a soft spot for them.

I went out and bought the filter this afternoon, had a bit of a result as Maidenheads price matched Amazon so I got the FX6 for under £200! Pretty chuffed with that.

All I've got to say is damn it's big, I mean like proper massive!

It fits under the tank just not in the 'cabinet', as I'd planned on using 2 smaller filters. I've just got to rearrange the blocks the tank is sitting on a little bit so that's it fits properly. Maybe a job for tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep great job so far...can't wait to see this finished:)

Thanks, and neither can I lol

Well I've put the filter and pipe work in place today, only bugger is that because I have to have the pipes in the lounge rather than the playroom ( the kids would more than likely pull on the pipes ) it doesn't look too pretty. Kind of a let down really, but I'll sort that out in time once I've come up with a 'pretty' solution.

d1d370d17b325ac2ff1a4a3884d1516d.jpg

b7a76fdd81defbdf7d217ac89bc2733c.jpg

3d1e5c9544474f22b64b1ac0cf946e05.jpg

Well just a quick update on this as things have been moving very slowly, well they haven't been moving at all if I'm honest.

Goldfish are now off the menu as my Roma 240 has sprung a leak!

So I'm going to swap the Rainbows and Pencils out of the Roma and into the monster.

Long overdue update time.

I've not had anywhere near enough time to dedicate to this tank as I would have liked, so not much has changed since it was hastily set up. Everything is growing really slowly, but also really healthily. So I'm not too worried about that.

I've added a black background to the tank now as it was a pain in the backside as there was no real background / foreground to speak of, and also the mess from the kids on the glass was killing me. I've also added a pair of Kribs who have had babies and are doing a good job of raising the fry.

Fingers crossed I will have some free time to invest in the tank very soon and I'll be adding some more plants, and also some more Rainbows.

Here is a pic of the tank as it stands today.

CE759259-B389-4081-913B-186F35730BD5.png

Looks like a good start, love the rainbows.

Looks fab! Some Red rainbows would also look fantastic in there.;)
PFK have a piece on Reds in this month's edition.
I'd forgotten how fantastic these fish are.

Great to see the Monster finally up and running...

Looks like a good start, love the rainbows.

Thanks guys.

Looks fab! Some Red rainbows would also look fantastic in there.;)
PFK have a piece on Reds in this month's edition.
I'd forgotten how fantastic these fish are.

I've got the mag and seen the article, not really had the time to read it properly yet. I'll be looking to add some more Boesemani (currently 9) and some Praecox too, will more than likely look into the Reds aswell as they are a lovely fish and think their colour will compliment the others very nicely.

I've just ordered a few plants from AE, I've got an Echindorus Bleheri, 2 x pots of Alternanthera Cardinalis, 2 x pots of Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, and a Microsorium mini should be here tomorrow so the tank will look a little better end of play tomorrow. Fingers crossed anyway.

I've never attempted to grow LB before, and I've read all sorts of stories of people struggling with it etc so I'll just have to see how I get on with it.

Plants arrived and all in tank now, the Echindorus have added a little height at the back, you can't really see the Alternantheras at the moment although if you look closely you can just about spot them at the back and on the left hand side. I'm pleased with the L.Brasiliensis but as I've never grown it before I'm not too sure what to expect but hopefully it'll spread out and carpet a little. The Microsourium, well what can you say a Java fern is a Java fern lol but it adds something to the wood on the right.

This is the best pic I can get with my phone so I'll apologise in advance.

35414749-41BB-47BA-B9CF-E0F27DFAA98B.png

I also added 6 x Red Rainbows today, they seem to have settled in nicely already and seem happy with the Boesemanis. Getting a pic was nigh on impossible!

B8038E39-4D13-4498-ADFF-FD76B5AACA9D.png

9FCCFC94-0A8B-4BA9-AE1D-EDECC447E9E6.png

The red rainbows are the fish I miss the most. Sadly my tank isn't close to being big enough. They will look great in your tank when matured (part of the reason I liked them the most)

Quick update since planting a week ago. Everything is growing on nicely.

The Alternanthera is showing nice and healthy looking new growth

5F979ACD-D1B9-4C63-A62B-7F0B92F82582.png

The Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis has started to send out a few runners so there are a few new shoots of that starting to show up

71C57978-6E84-4922-BE39-CC8DCC5B7F91.png

51452685-7FC1-4A35-B00A-9403AF9DB28E.png

Most impressively though I think is the smaller of the 2 Echindorus Bleheri, this new leaf in the centre has shot up within the last day and a half

B882A024-6832-487F-AB02-5F0F6134E789.png

Lastly a FTS

8AAB0DF5-CCC8-42DC-B5C6-9C3E7AD82AFD.png

Trouble with the FTS is that it doesn't really look any different, not until you get up close and start looking at the plants anyway.

I'm such a doofus! I completely forgot that the Fluval FX6 has the drainage valve at the bottom of the canister!

Now I've remembered I no longer have to lug buckets of water about to carry out a WC.

CE281C11-181C-4EF4-B541-1BE23A01C61B.png

That is now draining away into the kitchen sink. When it's time to fill back up now I'll simply disconnect the filter end and pop that into the tank, connect the sink end up to the tank and voila, no more buckets for me!

I can't believe I hadn't thought of it before!

ok...time to fess up....

I was going to post a smart assed comment about needing buckets buckets to refill your tank....then i had the Revelation that hosepipes can actually pass water in both directions...oh i feel clever now lol

Back