• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Solar RGB vs Kessil A360x vs ONF Flat One+ vs Chihiros Vivid 2 for 300gal planted tank

aeneas

Hi guys,
as some of you may have seen in another thread, I am currently building a new 1100L (240cm L x 65cm W x 70cm H) planted "nature aquarium" style discus tank. Several tech specs are now already well researched, but now it comes to choosing the right lighting.
After several days of reading reviews and youtube videos, I am down to the following:

1) ADA Solar RGB: probably can't go wrong here, but the light only comes in one small size - I'd probably need 3 or 4 for the tank this size and they only come with an on-off switch; with today's LED technology I'd really like at least the sunrise/sunset effect so that lights come up and go out nicely. But this is not a deal breaker... love the ADA Solar RGB and probably can't go wrong with these?

2) Kessil A360x Tuna Sun: I like the idea of the shimmering effect... not sure if these will be powerful enough and how many I will need to use... but they do have very nice sunrise/sunset effect (plus many other tweaks). Looking at some videos, these seem a bit weaker for the red spectrum - the red plants just don't stand out as much as with some other lights? I worry a bit about a potential glare from these lights when people are seated... there are no shades unlike ADA.

3) ONF Flat One+: Looks like a very nice light... good spectrum, decent pricing, good app. Similar as with Kessil - does not have shades, so I wonder whether the glare might not be a problem when people are seated.

4) Chihiros Vivid 2: a nice set of lights at very good price range. However I really dislike the idea of having active fan coolers - adds to the noise in the room, which I really want to avoid. This one, however, does come with shades so it prevents glaring.

I would love some feedback on these. Any experience greatly appreciated.
Personally, I am kind of between ADA Solar RGB and Kessil A360x but all of these seem to be good options.

Can speak about experiences with ADA, Kessil and ONF. But would really need to understand what the desired planting is @aeneas to point out any pros or cons.

Assuming given this is a discus tank and relatively deep compared to most setups, you won’t be replanting it often?

What does the planting plan look like?

Can speak about experiences with ADA, Kessil and ONF. But would really need to understand what the desired planting is @aeneas to point out any pros or cons.

Assuming given this is a discus tank and relatively deep compared to most setups, you won’t be replanting it often?

What does the planting plan look like?
Great, I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Regarding the plants, I've not yet chosen the exact list of species yet... My inspiration for the build will be Josh Sim's "Congo" 2017 IAPLC winning aquascape. Of course I'll need to make many adjustments - both in terms of giving discus plenty of space for movement and for the choice of plants that can thrive at 27C (I know discus are ideally at 28C+ but I've had discus for over 30 years and I have generally been able to aclimatize them to 27C without any health problems... they would spawn regularly and be very healthy at that temperature).
So plant choice will come down to: (a) creating a similar highly planted aquascape and (b) compromising on the choice of plants that are OK at higher temperatures. I do intend to have automated fertilisation, CO2 reactor etc. to give plants as supportive environment as possible.
Regarding replanting, you are correct... I would like to set-up an aquascape that will be made for a very very long time... pruning, trimming, evolving, yes... but not completely redoing.
I look forward to your thoughts and feedback :)

The kessils have the advantage of punching light deeper, so would be good for a deeper tank like yours.

Kessil says the a360x will cover 30in x 30in so you would need 3 minimum (depending on plant choices)

There is also the twinstar 1200SP, 2 of these would cover the entire length of the tank.

I think all the options will work, some will need more planning on plant placement but all will grow plants fine.

Vivid II’s are the only ones I’d be considering for your tank @aeneas from that list, or if you really want some shimmer then the AI Primes.

Vivid II’s are the only ones I’d be considering for your tank @aeneas from that list, or if you really want some shimmer then the AI Primes.
I don't think the primes would have the punch for a 70cm deep tank.

What reason for not liking the others?

I have four kessil160 tuna suns, I went for the 160 as they are dimmable down to 10-15% intensity, the 360 are only dimmable to 45% intensity, I had to RMA one of them and they only come with a 12 month warranty which is poor for the price.

The 160 are actively cooled and the fans do get a little noisy if lights on at 100% intensity with my DIY setup
1615208020432.png

However my setup doesn't fit with what Kessil advise and the units are quieter when free hanging with lots of clearance. Kessil controler is pretty decent bit of kit of controlling intensity/spectrum via 0-10V rail, I use PLC to control mine

I love the shimmer esp at low intensity, I have a moonlight passover which is the only one I am aware off, was quite technically difficult to do, but the low light/shimmer with one kessil on at as time is quite magical and my favourite viewing of tank.

Moving soon and thinking of new tank and Chihiros are top of my list ATM for price, spectrum and controllable, Primes probably second, ADA solar look great but lack of dimming is a no brainer IMO

I don't think the primes would have the punch for a 70cm deep tank.

The Primes would have more punch than the Kessils @Nick potts, I’ve tested both, the Primes are very bright.

What reason for not liking the others?

It’s not really a matter of not liking them, they’re all well made lights, but you have to consider them against one another.

I’ve not seen the ADA’s but they use similar if not identical LED’s to the Vivid II’s, but don’t have the same flexibility of spectrum control, intensity adjustment, or in built scheduling, but cost twice as much. They do have passive cooling though if that’s important to @aeneas

The Kessils, though well made, are very noisy, expensive (especially when you add on the additional WiFi controller) and have generally fairly poor colour rendition.

The ONF’s are good light, with decent colour rendition, but again have only limited controls.

The Vivid II’s have almost infinite control flexibility, are one of the brightest on the list, and are comparatively more affordable. The only downsides are the possible lack of local distribution (though I don’t know if that applies to Slovenia), and the active cooling - though the fans are incredibly quiet.

The Primes would have more punch than the Kessils @Nick potts, I’ve tested both, the Primes are very bright.
Sorry I was thinking of a different light, I thought the primes where only 15w (they are 55w)
It’s not really a matter of not liking them, they’re all well made lights, but you have to consider them against one another.

I’ve not seen the ADA’s but they use similar if not identical LED’s to the Vivid II’s, but don’t have the same flexibility of spectrum control, intensity adjustment, or in built scheduling, but cost twice as much. They do have passive cooling though if that’s important to @aeneas

The Kessils, though well made, are very noisy, expensive (especially when you add on the additional WiFi controller) and have generally fairly poor colour rendition.

The ONF’s are good light, with decent colour rendition, but again have only limited controls.

The Vivid II’s have almost infinite control flexibility, are one of the brightest on the list, and are comparatively more affordable. The only downsides are the possible lack of local distribution (though I don’t know if that applies to Slovenia), and the active cooling - though the fans are incredibly quiet.
The vivid does get very good reviews.

The twinstar 1200sp would cover the whole tank, are these not any good?

Sorry for the derail @aeneas :)

though the fans are incredibly quiet.

Esp when watching UHD action movie with Logitech Z-5500 sound system 😂

twinstar 1200sp would cover the whole tank, are these not any good?

Twinstars are good, but ADA solar in in another league all together, so if Chihiros Vivid as as good as folk claim they are in same league as ADA solar, if choosing between Twinstar and Chihiros Vivid its a one house race IMO

Sorry I was thinking of a different light, I thought the primes where only 15w (they are 55w)

The vivid does get very good reviews.

The twinstar 1200sp would cover the whole tank, are these not any good?

Sorry for the derail @aeneas :)

Yes, the Twinstars are decent lights, but are lower output, and don’t have the control features and colour rendition of the dedicated RGB based lights.

I’ll caveat all this by saying people need to check out the different lights themselves, it’s ultimately a matter of personal choice, but comparing them side by side can be difficult. I’ve tested all the ones listed other than the ADA’s - but I’d never consider paying £800 for a 450mm light anyway - and it was a clear decision for me.

No product is perfect, and the Chihiros products aren’t, but once you see the dedicated RGB based lights, to hard to go back to anything else.

Esp when watching UHD action movie with Logitech Z-5500 sound system 😂

Twinstars are good, but ADA solar in in another league all together, so if Chihiros Vivid as as good as folk claim they are in same league as ADA solar, if choosing between Twinstar and Chihiros Vivid its a one house race IMO
I agree to an extent, but the twinstar would cover the entire tank with 2 units, compared to 5 for the vivid (granted you wouldn't need 5)

Yes, the Twinstars are decent lights, but are lower output, and don’t have the control features and colour rendition of the dedicated RGB based lights.
The twinstar is 110w compared to 130w for the vivid and solar.

It is also an RGB light and has control options.

I agree to an extent, but the twinstar would cover the entire tank with 2 units, compared to 5 for the vivid (granted you wouldn't need 5)

It is also an RGB light and has control options.

The Twinstar 1200SP are 6900 lumens each, so 13,800 lumens for the tank. Vivids are 7,700 lumens each, so say three for the tank, would be 23,100 lumens.

Also the Twinstar don’t use dedicated combination RGB based LED’s like the ADA/Chihiros, they are predominantly white LED’s.

Thats the input wattage and does not equate to the Output in PAR or spectrum, even lumens to PAR is a poor comparison, Watts to PAR is a joke IMO esp with LED outputs changing almost on a weekly basis, any LED light is dated the moment you buy it.

RGB light and has control options

Not all RGB are equal its like comparing Cars, they will all get you there ;)

Great discussion, many thanks @Wookii , @Nick potts and @Zeus.
I'm also curious to know what @Geoffrey Rea will comment since he's had experience with some of these lights as well.

In terms of some of the reservations for Kessil - I would agree with the above comments when I looked at the older model... However, the new redesigned A360x Tuna Sun seems to have improved significantly... I cannot comment on noise (and this would be a concern!) but the heat sink is completely different now as well.
I was not seriously considering Kessils until I saw this video:
I highly recommend to those interersted. Although in German, even if you don't understand it, it is quite self-explanatory... the guy does a great job comparing all of these lights.
The only thing that comes weak in my opinion is some of the red contrast on the red plants... but overall looks really nice

And here is a guy playing with his settings on A360x - heavily planted tank and quite a nice variation of colours these lights can make:

Just to clarify @aeneas the Kessil I tested was the A360X, the most recent model.

I strongly suggest you loan a unit or go and see them before you push on and buy 4/5 of them.

Hi Folks,

There are other aquarium lighting manufacturers out there. When I replace the light fixture on my main tank - hopefully this year - I'm seriously considering these German suppliers:

I have no commercial interest in either of these companies.

I am in no way trying to sway your judgement but I like the fact that both these companies provide the 'technical' details that I consider important when evaluating lighting products.

JPC

Hi Folks,

There are other aquarium lighting manufacturers out there. When I replace the light fixture on my main tank - hopefully this year - I'm seriously considering these German suppliers:

I am in no way trying to sway your judgement but I like the fact that both these companies provide the 'technical' details that I consider important when evaluating lighting products.

JPC
Interesting
1615234702340.png

Or just use a TC420 as its the same specs just Black

Hi Folks,

JPC
GHL are very highly regarded on the marine side of the hobby.

Back