• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA or Optiwhite, cant decide :(?

k-hult

Hi everyone, i am looking to start up a large planted tank in my room but am having trouble deciding between an ADA tank and a custom Optiwhite tank. The ADA tanks dont come in the optimum size , At least in the UK, i would like, 180l x 60w x 60d, but are a higher quality tank and also a lot more expensive. So i am stuck between this decision between a larger tank or a smaller higher quality tank.

I suppose my question is is there really a huge amount of difference in glass clarity between an ADA tank and an optiwhite tank from somewhere like the greenmachine?. I have been looking through images and the water does seem a bit cloudier through optiwhite glass than the glass of an ADA, especially towards the back of the tank.

Money isnt the issue as i have saved up a fair bit for this project, i just cant decide between bigger tank or better quality, i sort of want the tank to take up a fair bit of my wall.

Many thanks people and any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I think it all depend on your builder/ assembler. I've not owned ada but do admire the quality/ finish. I didn't realize that optiwhite is clouder than ada? not sure what size tmc go Upto but the finish on those that I've seen though has been good.:) cheers Kirk

I think the question is: do you think its important to have an ada tank? If not, get a custom tank made and spend the vast amount of money saved on other goodies.

I own a tgm tank and it is very well made and no noticable cloudyness.

Hi Kirk, thats why im tempted to go for the ADA tanks as im a bit of a perfectionist and they look crystal clear. Based on tank images i have looked at it looks a little cloudier, although that could just be due to it being a new tank or the lighting :p.

Hey Darren
Im not at all interested in the branding, only the quality and clarity of the glass, the sticker in the corner means nothing to me ha ha. :p

thanks for replies guys :)

I'd like to Down size again sometime. I've been looking at that 60p on eBay for under 100 squid. Shame it's too far from me:(

Just had a look on ebay Kirk and thats very good money for an ADA tank, its always either too much or too far away though like you said :(

If you can seriously tell the difference in glass clarity between an ADA vs Opti white tank from a web pic I would be astounded !

Perhaps if you saw the tanks in the flesh side by side with identical lighting, then took a deep breath steadied yourself and cast your verdict.. you would get a more realistic answer or comparison if indeed there is one ?

Oh I wish I had my young eyes back :)

ha ha, that's very true god sir. I wish i had the opportunity to do that but it seems very unlikely, im sure there would be a difference but it would probably be minute. Im just not sure i should sacrifice the size for the perhaps minute amount of quality that would be gained... grr decision decisions :p .

I know what you are going through and also dither with these type of decisions, so if it's of any comfort you are not alone !
I have never seen them side by side, but for what it's worth getting the size you really want would be my priority over the small quality difference unless the seams really bother you.

I also have a 1.8m planted tank, 600 wide and 700 height, having this height really helps with the photography side and general proportions, as anything shorter starts to give the feeling of a really long tank and a bit out of proportion to the more aesthetically pleasing 16.9 aspect ratio.

I agree with trevor. If youre a perfectionist and have a project already in mind, then settling for a smaller tank is surely the bigger compromise. Get your water crystal clear and the difference in glass (if any) will be impossibly minimal. Just don't by an ADA tank next if you go for an optiwhite this time ;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Optiwhite is another name for low iron , this is the most transparent glass you can get by minimizing the amount of sunlight it reflects , I bet Ada just use a low iron glass and the pictures you have seen had different water qualities or they had used effects to make it look clearer :)
Cheers

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Like Sam said optiwhite isn't a type of glass but a brand name.pretty much like Hoover.low iron glass is low iron glass regardless of the name.

Like others have said NA is what id be looking at if moneys no object,lovely stands that imo are nicer than ADA .ADA is just a brand that you pay a premium for but will it make you plants grow better or your scape nicer.

Cheers Dave

My ND Aquatics custom Optiwhite is quite cloudy :confused:

20131201_092950_zpsbdc5724f.jpg

Sure it will be better with the wrapper off though :D

Nice silicone work and 50% cheaper than nearest size comparison I can find on TGM Optiwhites ;)

hey, i had a 90x75x45 tgm tank and cant say the glass was an issue however the amount of silicone was! I know they have changed who makes them since then though.
There is a reasonable amount of difference in optiwhite glass and ive seen a few self builds etc that arent what ill call optiwhite, once full of water though its a negligible difference.

Natural Aquario would have been a good option with their super clear glass which is awesome, sadly since they have been sold they are only doing full set ups now i believe, could be worth a PM to one of our sponsors; freshwatershrimp to ask the question, you may get lucky.

I do think the glass isnt the biggest point its the quality of the build and how much silicone is used, thick lines of silicone is quite distracting and an algae magnet.

hey, i had a 90x75x45 tgm tank and cant say the glass was an issue however the amount of silicone was! I know they have changed who makes them since then though.
I must have a newer one then because the silicone work on mine is on par with any of the pics I've seen of ada or na tanks.

As the others have said Optiwhite is Pilkington's name for their low iron glass. If you're concerned about clarity then have a look at this:
Pilkington Optiwhite

I must have a newer one then because the silicone work on mine is on par with any of the pics I've seen of ada or na tanks.

As the others have said Optiwhite is Pilkington's name for their low iron glass. If you're concerned about clarity then have a look at this:
Pilkington Optiwhite

How many ADA tanks have you seen?
Because I can guarantee you that it's not as good as ADA.

Back