• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Bio Cube

Good idea or not? I’m not suggesting buying it as you can cut your own foam up into cubes ...

Attachments

• C6777A77-3E23-492B-81F8-7C4E38AB1CBD.jpeg
    C6777A77-3E23-492B-81F8-7C4E38AB1CBD.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,330
Marketing on steroids!

cannot believe the cost of it! Bet it is little more than off cuts re-purposed.

I think it will set up a business and sell unbranded at 1/5th of the cost and still make a healthy profit!

I think I’ve seen some 15mm filter foam sheet somewhere, I may give it a try if it’s not too expensive.

I think I’ve seen some 15mm filter foam sheet somewhere, I may give it a try if it’s not too expensive.
Do so

But it likely won’t have the same flow characteristics or longevity

If you’ve ever used traditional “sponge filters” it’s very obvious similar looking “sponge/foam” behaves very differently, even foams made from the same “ingredient” may have very different characteristics - that’s the beauty of plastics ;)
At $20 for 2 litres of product in a nicely finished box that’s travelled thousands of kilometres I’m not too offended by the price, and generally ADA quality does meet certain standards ... remember what glass boxes looked like before ADA came along and insisted glass could be clearer, silicon work could be almost invisible

I’d certainly buy the aquarium and cabinet in this PFK review Review: ADA Cube Garden 60-P aquarium and Do!aqua cabinet
I have bought the aquarium, but locally available aquarium cabinets are pretty awful - one lfs finally sourced a halfway decent (actual) wood cabinet, the first shipment was very nice quality and finish, subsequent shipments saw quality and delivery elements change, then shipments where more cabinets were damaged or “seconds” than saleable (cabinets)

It’s easy to bash ADA but also consider their contributions to Aquascaping

ADA Web Aqua Journal

Chihiros

Twinstar

Most of ADA’s stuff is well thought out, hence the original question. I guess it may help improve the flow over a solid block? ADA don’t actually intend this stuff to be used long term according to their info. Actually, thinking about it a bit more, it’s far less wasteful than cutting a disc to fit the canister and throwing the corners away.

Last edited:
I feel like I have read somewhere that foam should be in whole blocks that fill the space they are in, otherwise most of the water will want to bypass the sponge (path of least resistance), and the sponge will therefore be less effective.

Hi all,
I feel like I have read somewhere that foam should be in whole blocks that fill the space they are in, otherwise most of the water will want to bypass the sponge (path of least resistance), and the sponge will therefore be less effective.
Have a look at <"Swiss Tropicals - Poret®aqua Media">.

cheers Darrel

Most of ADA’s stuff is well thought out, hence the original question. I guess it may help improve the flow over a solid block? ADA don’t actually intend this stuff to be used long term according to their info.
Looking at the stuff in the photo (not likely that I’ll see it IRL as the local ADA Rep has his own ideas as to what’s suitable to make His Order List) my guess it’s meant to simulate the ceramic mechanical filtration media ... of course most mechanical filter media will also become biological media over media (it’s just not as “optimized” re surface area/volume ratio, oxygenation, pore sizes, etc)

Of course my guess may be way off, and it’s optimized for biological support ;)

(btw there is NO substitute for properly made Poret sponge filters ... haven’t been able to get those for years either)

Back