• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA aqua soil Amazonian turned to dust???

Danny

Hi guys,

My ADA aqua soil Amazonian has turned to literally nothing and it's only been in the tank 5/6 weeks!

I had a 're scape and it's mostly turned to literally microscopic particles? Is this normal?

Surely it shouldn't do that? How does anyone 're use it if that happens especially after no more than 6 weeks in a tank?

Extreemly disappointed with it now, it needs siphoning out and replacing.

20180103_003958.jpg

Are you sure it’s not just particles covering the sides? Some of the beads/pellets will do that with a small amount of pressure but a whole tank is odd.

Looks like aquasoil Amazonian powder rather than pellet.

Never seen that either. Even had a 60p filled with powder only for 8 months, and it never looked like that S:

If you mess with the ADA Amazonia soil, you'll get a lot of dust in the tank. What I did to use it again was siphoning the whole substrate and using a fine fish net on the other end of the hose to catch the siphoned substrate.

Dirty water with most of the dust will go down to the bucket and you'll have the clean(ish) substrate inside the net.

It's definitely not the usual soil dust covering, 90% of it has turned to a slime like jelly type thing.

It's too thin to plant into and the slightest bit of disturbance sends up an almighty cloud, I thought about capping it as a last resort but I dropped a piece of gravel in and it just went straight into it there is no actual solid matter in the majority of it other than what is used in/on the rock work as bedding areas.
20180103_105715.jpg
20180103_105603.jpg

Hi
Its not cheap substrate....:mad:
Contact the retailer who sold you it.....explain its not performed for the purpose required!:arghh:
Or contact the manufacturer directly!
You may have to send them a sample/photographs of said planting soil.
There could have been a processing problem for that batch of substrate.
Keep us posted
Good Luck;)

Hi
Its not cheap substrate....:mad:
Contact the retailer who sold you it.....explain its not performed for the purpose required!:arghh:
Or contact the manufacturer directly!
You may have to send them a sample/photographs of said planting soil.
There could have been a processing problem for that batch of substrate.
Keep us posted
Good Luck;)
I planned on contacting the retailer today to see what they say, I had a Google about this last night and found it to be an issue back in 2012/2013 but after at least a year.

Being my first time using it I didn't know if this was normal or not so figured you guys would know best before I go complaining for nothing lol

Judging by the replies I guess this isn't normal.

If i were ADA i definitively would be interested, i guess it's beter to contact them directly and also supply them with the location of the purchase. So they can back track the batch, there likely are a lot more bags around with the same issue.

Just think of it, these products are not realy manufactured, even if they partialy are processed with baking or such, they need a natural source to make it from. Natural sources aren't always consistent in composition since they are dug up from th earth somewhere else. ADA is a Trademark not a manufacturer, it doesn't have the bulldozers digging it up, baking it, print the bag with ADA logo and ship it on. They rely on 3th party suppliers doing all the work, ADA only does some paper work and cashing in between.

I remeber such a story from a German forum concerning JBL (also a trademark) soil, the bag said it was kH stable, but it wasn't it raised kH instead to unacceptable values. The customer contacted JBL, they tested and investigated it and in the end they confirmed, it was their source supplier failing to inform them that he was delivering assumed same stuff from another dig site and thus with slight different content and properties affecting kH. Anyway the guy got refunded and got a free JBL lab kit on top. End good all good.. :)

Well I've been told by the retailer it has happened because it was wet while 're used.... kind of makes sense but still very disappointing for such a costly product.

Does that seem right to anyone?

Hi
The retailer is trying to bulshit U a bit imo.I had Amazonia in 2008,used it for 8 months, took it out in a bin bag wet and used it 4-5 years later still wet in bag when I opened it there was a bit of dust while rinsing it without stirring to hard and used it in a scape.It was softer but still holding shape for about 8 months before I rescaped.Bonus I had a small Aponogeton bulb in it that surprised me when sprouted out of nowhere.
U should contact ADA directly if the retailer is not wanting to resolve it imo.
Regards Konsa

Hi
The retailer is trying to bulshit U a bit imo.I had Amazonia in 2008,used it for 8 months, took it out in a bin bag wet and used it 4-5 years later still wet in bag when I opened it there was a bit of dust while rinsing it without stirring to hard and used it in a scape.It was softer but still holding shape for about 8 months before I rescaped.Bonus I had a small Aponogeton bulb in it that surprised me when sprouted out of nowhere.
U should contact ADA directly if the retailer is not wanting to resolve it imo.
Regards Konsa
I wasn't going to go into any other details of my personal opinion of their attitude but I won't be using them again so it wouldn't surprise me if it is just an excuse.

I'll replace it and contact ADA to see what they say, might just be an expensive learning curve.

I hope U get it resolved
Its a great product and is very bizarre what is happening to U.
Regards Konsa

Sounds rubbish!
Contact ADA directly....apparently when first purchased there should be moisture droplets within the bag!
If the bag is punctured and dries out it could affect the performance of the soil...when used.
hoggie

I hope U get it resolved
Its a great product and is very bizarre what is happening to U.
Regards Konsa
Hopefully I'll have a decent reply from ADA with an explanation so I can avoid it happening again if it is something I've done to cause it.

Back