• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Amazonia V2, RO water and pH

Epiphyte

I've rescaped my tank recently and for the first timed used some ADA Amazonia V2 mixed up with some of my usual Tropica soil.

I also use RO water remineralised with Salty Shrimp originally, now APT Sky to ~120 TDS, which gives me a kH below 1, meaning I can grow all of the soft water species I like.

My issue is when only using Tropica substrate in my old setup my "resting" pH was around 7 with a pH of 6 when the CO2 was on, measured with a pH probe into an Intaqo CO2 controller.

With ADA Amazonia V2 it seems my PH is around 6.4 and whilst I'm playing around with CO2 values it seems that a PH drop to 5.6 is barely giving me a change in my drop checker colour, meaning I really need to push it lower.

Is a pH in, for example, the 5.4 range an issue for a planted tank? It seems way lower than anything I've come across and I can only put it down to the Amazonia.

Stocking is just rasboras of various types and rummynose, all of which are happy in acidic water I believe. Pants are stems, Monte Carlo carpet, buce of various types and they all seem to be thriving.

Should I just push for a green drop checker and ignore the numbers?

Is a pH in, for example, the 5.4 range an issue for a planted tank? It seems way lower than anything I've come across and I can only put it down to the Amazonia.
In simple terms, No.

Should I just push for a green drop checker and ignore the numbers?
Push for your 1PH drop. Color of drop checker is highly dependent on its position in the tank and water flow. Move it around to see how color changes.

In simple terms, No.

Push for your 1PH drop. Color of drop checker is highly dependent on its position in the tank and water flow. Move it around to see how color changes.

Okay, main thing is animal welfare so if they are happy in acidic waters then I am happy. Turns out my CO2 controller won't go below a pH of 5.5 so that's what I have set it to.

Drop checker gets moved around but I tend to put my CO2 probe and drop checker at the opposite end of the tank to the CO2 diffuser so it doesn't get artificially blasted with CO2 bubbles.

Thanks for replying!

Back