• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60P - Shades of Grey

Danny

I picked up an ADA 60P and ADA Aquasky 601 light unit for a bargain so here goes tank two....

I'm not sure what you would call the hardscape, not Iwagumi I think but not quite mountain either.... hey ho I like it lol

This is all I have at the moment, no filter etc yet so will get it going slowly.

I think I'm going to add co2 as I have it already I just need a splitter for my reg.

Plants will be kept very simple, I'm going for a clean and simple look ( I think )

Anyway, more on this to come in the future. The background will also be done with a frosted glass effect.

The substrate is banked up by stockings filled with gravel which the stone is sat on and supported by.

Tank; ADA 60P
Light; ADA Aquasky 601
Hardscape; Seiryu Stone
Substrate; Unipack Samoa fine sand

20180308_182012.jpg

Last edited:
Glass clarity....

When I got the TMC Signature it was my first optiwhite tank and I noticed a huge difference to anything I've had before, it then got me wondering about other brands which use optiwhite/ultra clear glass and if there would be any real difference in glass other than price.

Now having this ADA tank I can again see a difference in clarity to the TMC Signature which I really did not expect, in my mind optiwhite is optiwhite so there would be no difference between brands.....

I was wrong! The clarity of this ADA is just shockingly good.

Glass clarity....

When I got the TMC Signature it was my first optiwhite tank and I noticed a huge difference to anything I've had before, it then got me wondering about other brands which use optiwhite/ultra clear glass and if there would be any real difference in glass other than price.

Now having this ADA tank I can again see a difference in clarity to the TMC Signature which I really did not expect, in my mind optiwhite is optiwhite so there would be no difference between brands.....

I was wrong! The clarity of this ADA is just shockingly good.
good to hear that as im literally today ordering an ADA

Everything's growing well, had to trim the DHG for the first time but it's sending out plenty of runners which is great.

Starting to get a little frustrating having to play with the skimmer attachment to get it just right now after every water change.
20180319_190319.jpg
20180319_190633.jpg
20180319_190652.jpg

very nice
I know how you're feeling about the skimmer as I have exactly the same annoying problem

very nice
I know how you're feeling about the skimmer as I have exactly the same annoying problem
It's a problem even with daily evaporation, I'm thinking a little o ring as is on the bottom adjuster would solve it.

Although it stops it "auto adjusting" which it doesn't anyway so I think I'm going to try fixing it in place.

I previously installed a neutral coloured silicon o-ring between the two pipes to eliminate the buffeting however with evaporation runs risk of sitting too high out of the water drawing in air.

Since I have installed an inline heater and inline co2 reactor the flow rate has reduced enough that the strainer now sits nicely on the surface regardless.

Got to find the balance with the adjustment at the bottom as well.

Totally neglected the tank since the last update as I just haven't had a chance to touch it, got a little staghorn on the Juncus behind the main stone which I assume is lack of flow due to the stone restricting it so I'll deal with that.

Algae on the glass etc needs a clean but here's a quick one to show growth, the DHG is filling in nicely and a fair few endler fry starting to show also.

20180327_210819.jpg
20180327_210839.jpg

It's a problem even with daily evaporation, I'm thinking a little o ring as is on the bottom adjuster would solve it.

One of the main reasons I didn't get one, I imagined you would have to mess with it a lot.

One of the main reasons I didn't get one, I imagined you would have to mess with it a lot.
I haven't modded it yet but thinking about it it would be ideal if it was threaded so you could just make little turns to adjust and set it.

I don't think it would have put me off buying it if I knew I would have the issue, however there is another that's becoming obvious.

Because the flow is restricted at the bottom to when the top isn't perfect it adds pressure on the filter which you can hear, it can be pretty bad at times and something I'm thinking could affect the life of the motor in the long term.

I am only using an Eheim 2213 and it isn't powerful enough IMO at 400lph so the bottom is more restricted than on say an 800lph filter which wouldn't have that issue.

Depending on your water level sometimes the plastic internal pipe with the skimmer head on covers the glass inlet on the skimmer pipework and restricts the flow, You just need to cut half inch off the bottom of the plastic internal pipe then it works fine. Had to do this on mine:).

So.... yesterday's clean turned into a rescape.... I have no idea how it happened or what I even think of it but somehow general maintenance turned into far more lol

Here is the tank today, I'm looking into plant options to suit it.

20180405_203034.jpg

I miss that big stone in this new layout
That's what started this lol

I took it out to scrub it then another and another and before I knew it I was playing with other stones lol totally unplanned but heyho see how it goes.

Back