• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Acclimatising Shrimp

I also got 12 cherry shrimp. Do these need to be carefully acclimatised, too? They're currently in the dark in an insulated bag - been there for over two hours now.

I know shouldn't do this :oops: - this is a question I just posted in my journal ("Punishment of Luxury") - I thought there's more chance of an invert expert browsing here.

paul.in.kendal

Thanks Aaron. Yes, I found something elsewhere on here also recommending acclimatising cherry shrimp. I've just released my otos into the main tank, and started drip acclimatising the cherries.

Thanks again.

I always used drip acclimatisation method for shrimp and otos. The problems though sometimes lie in the inadequate amount of water the fish/shrimp is packed, so by adding lets say 100mls of water every 15 minutes might be a 200% change in the water if there was only 50mls of water to start with. I've always aimed to change the water by aroun 20% every 15 minutes. So if there is 100mls in the bag, I'll aim to drip around 20mls every 15 minutes. After after 1-2 hour the water should be similar to that of a tank and you are ready for placing your shrimp in the tank. So far it's been successful even on high grade crystal red shrimp.

AdAndrews

mattyc said:
i just threw them in and they are fine!! :p
same here, or if i acclimatise them, thats will only be leaving the bag on top of the water for 5 mins then adding water for another 5 mins, then in.

mlgt

Same as AdAndrews. Float bag on top of the tank water. Add some blahblahblahblah water in there, wait 5-10 mins and then slowly put them in.

Theres been no deaths this far so its all good. I do read that if you have too many shrimps in a confined area/bag or under stress they release pheremones which may harm/kill themselves.

What I try and do is every odd month I sell some of the shrimps or give to friends and them change the blood line.

I am however going to introduce some CRS later this month and unsure what will happen, but been told that they will breed with Cherrys so that will be interesting :)

a1Matt

mlgt said:
I am however going to introduce some CRS later this month and unsure what will happen, but been told that they will breed with Cherrys so that will be interesting :)

Nope! Crystal red and cherries will not interbreed.

mlgt

You are correct. I misread :(

Well.... heres to 10 CRS on payday :)

a1Matt

don't worry mate, it is actually good thing, crossbreeding across species often results in sterile offspring with drab colours :)

mlgt

Good thing I can pester LondonDragon whos on this forum.
He lives near me and hoping we can swop cherrys every 6 months to avoid interbreeding.

Once I start my CRS hope they will get jiggy too :)