• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

mrtank50

hello all friends

Friends, I want to make liquid gh booster.

I have 20 liter buckets.

They are waiting until the next water change.

I want to make liquid gh booster and add it to these buckets.

That's why I want to prevent calcium magnesium accumulation when I add it to the aquarium.
Unfortunately I don't know how much to add with the spoon as I have so many tanks.

I thought of such an option.

I tried several times, but I could not get a clear image. There was always a white and hazy image.

Is it possible for me to do something like this?

Materials available to me
1-Calcium chloride
2-Calcium Sulphate
3-Magnesium Chloride
4-Magnesium Sulphate
5-Potassium Sulphate
6-Potassium Chloride
7-Potassium Oxide
8-Magnetic water mixer

Hi all,
I tried several times, but I could not get a clear image. There was always a white and hazy image.
You would need to just use the chlorides of calcium and magnesium. The problems otherwise are to <"do with solubility">. Potassium (K) compounds are soluble, but K+ is a monovalent cation and doesn't contribute to dGH (multivalent cations).

Have a look at <"James' Planted tank">.

*edit @Hufsa 's linked thread covers this in much more detail.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

You would need to just use the chlorides of calcium and magnesium. The problems otherwise are to <"do with solubility">. Potassium (K) compounds are soluble, but K+ is a monovalent cation and doesn't contribute to dGH (multivalent cations).

Have a look at <"James' Planted tank">.

cheers Darrel
Thank you very much for valuable information.

So, is chloride harmful to plants?

1643888735522.png

Take a litre of water
add ten/ eleven teaspoons of the two salts above to litre of water
good shake
Stock solution made :thumbup: both salts are highly soluble so the stock solution should be clear very quickly
Add 5ml per bucket of water for every 1GH you whish to increase the bucket of water

eg. if you wish to increase GH to 4GH add 20ml per bucket

If you are after another Ca:Mg ratio just ask or other salts ;)

The calculator with this remineralising package I have used isn't publicly available ATM - it in production ATM with myself and @Hanuman- we will be hopefully releasing it this year when its done. The current release version does do reserialising salts, however it works on target [ion] or you add a mass of salt and it gives you the result
The one in production works from GH,KH and Ca:Mg ratios and does stock solutions and dry salts and more commercial salts to clone compare

Hi all,

Possibly in large amounts, but it is going to <"depend on the plants">. Some people have tried to limit chloride (Cl-) in their fertiliser mixes, but there is the advantage of ~all chloride salts being soluble.

Is it then preferable to use Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride instead of their Sulfate version? The tradeoff is between adding Chloride (Cl-) or adding Sulfates (SO4) to the water column.

The resulting concentration for dGH 6 at 30:10 Ca : Mg ratio can result in
~80ppm Cl (Mg and Ca Chlorides)
~150ppm SO4 (Mg and Ca Sulfates)
~30ppm Cl + ~70pmm SO4 (Mg Chloride + Ca Sulfate)

Which one is preferable?

Last edited:
View attachment 181541
Take a litre of water
good shake
Stock solution made :thumbup: both salts are highly soluble so the stock solution should be clear very quickly
Add 5ml per bucket of water for every 1GH you whish to increase the bucket of water

The calculator with this remineralising package I have used isn't publicly available ATM - it in production ATM with myself and @Hanuman- we will be hopefully releasing it this year when its done. The current release version does do reserialising salts, however it works on target [ion] or you add a mass of salt and it gives you the result
The one in production works from GH,KH and Ca:Mg ratios and does stock solutions and dry salts and more commercial salts to clone compare

Thank you very much for valuable information. So do I need to add potassium in addition to ca and mg?

Hi all,
Is it then preferable to use Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride instead of their Sulfate version? The tradeoff is between adding Chloride (Cl-) or adding Sulfates (SO4) to the water column.

The resulting concentration for dGH 6 at 30:10 Ca : Mg ratio can result in
~80ppm Cl (Mg and Ca Chlorides)
~150ppm SO4 (Mg and Ca Sulfates)
~30ppm Cl + ~70pmm SO4 (Mg Chloride + Ca Sulfate)

Which one is preferable?
<"Calcium sulphate"> (CaSO4.2H2O)* isn't very soluble, so unless you use both chlorides? Realistically you have to use magnesium sulphate "Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H2O) and calcium chloride (CaCl2.2H2O). If you dry dose them straight into the tank? You can use the other salts.
So do I need to add potassium in addition to ca and mg?
You would need to add potassium (K) in your fertiliser, it is one of the <"three macronutrients"> that plants need most of. If you wanted to add some dKH? you could use <"potassium bicarbonate (KHCO3)">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I use calcium sulphate, magnesium sulphate and potassium bicarbonate to remineralize my water, but i am only aiming for 1KH and 3-4GH, I haven't run into any solubility issues but i am not trying to make a liquid booster.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I haven't run into any solubility issues but i am not trying to male a liquid booster.
I think <"dry dosing"> makes sense for most of the sparingly soluble salts, because you don't have any solubility issues, due to dilution in a large volume of tank water.

If people have automated dosing systems then they will need to dose solutions, and they are also convenient when you use <"serial dilution"> for nano tanks and micro-elements. This is useful because it does away with the requirement for <"accurate measurement of small weights">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
View attachment 181541
bir litre su al
litre suya yukarıdaki iki tuzdan on/onbir çay kaşığı ekleyin
iyi sallamak
Her iki tuzun da yüksek çözünürlüğe sahip olduğu stok çözelti :başparmak yukarı: , bu nedenle stok çözeltinin çok hızlı bir şekilde berrak olması gerekir.
Su kovasını artırmak istediğiniz her 1 GH için kova başına 5 ml su ekleyin

Örneğin. GH'yi 4GH'ye yükseltmek istiyorsanız, kova başına 20 ml ekleyin

Başka bir Ca:Mg oranının peşindeyseniz, sadece sorun veya başka tuzlar;)

Kullandığım bu yeniden mineralleştirme paketine sahip hesap makinesi halka açık ATM değil - bu, kendim ve @Hanuman ile birlikte üretim ATM'sinde - bittiğinde onu bu yıl piyasaya süreceğimizi umuyoruz. Mevcut sürüm , tuzları yeniden seri hale getiriyor, ancak hedef [ion] üzerinde çalışıyor veya bir kütle tuz ekliyorsunuz ve size sonucu veriyor.
Üretimde olanı GH,KH ve Ca:Mg oranlarından çalışır ve stok çözeltiler ve kuru tuzlar ve klon karşılaştırması için daha ticari tuzlar yapar.
hello again zeus

I halved the grams you mentioned, I made 500 ml.

Powders I Use:

-Magnesium sulfate

-calcium chloride

-potassium carbonate

This mix gives me kh 1 - gh 4.

But I still couldn't get a clear picture.

Is this because of K2C03?

Attachments

• dc850024-e698-4eb2-8511-732c1ceffe62.jpg
    dc850024-e698-4eb2-8511-732c1ceffe62.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 146
  • f56d3eec-2196-4526-8eae-c7b265ad53d0.jpg
    f56d3eec-2196-4526-8eae-c7b265ad53d0.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 142
w
View attachment 181541
Take a litre of water
good shake

when i use these salts to gether, (cacl and mgso4) i get horrible precipitation. when these salts are separate the solution remains clear. calcium salts are usually a trouble maker and just to avoid the trouble i recommend keeping them separate.

w

when i use these salts to gether, (cacl and mgso4) i get horrible precipitation. when these salts are separate the solution remains clear. calcium salts are usually a trouble maker and just to avoid the trouble i recommend keeping them separate.
be interested so here what @X3NiTH or @dw1305 has to say on that

Hi all,
when i use these salts to gether, (cacl and mgso4) i get horrible precipitation.
You've exceed the solubility limit of the least soluble salt, in this case CaSO4.2H2O.
<"Calcium sulphate"> (CaSO4.2H2O)* isn't very soluble,
2.6 g per litre at 25 °C (as the dihydrate)

*edit thanks to @Maf 2500 who pointed out (kindly in a PM) that I had written "CaCO2.2H2O", rather than CaSO4.2H2O in <"the original post">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
You've exceed the solubility limit of the least soluble salt, in this case CaSO4.2H2O.
That one. I premix everything in one of my 5 Gallon (20L) WC buckets immediately prior to dumping it into the tank, it always clouds up somewhat in the bucket due to the relatively low solubility of especially the CaSO4 I suppose, but everything clears up (dissolves) just fine when it gets into the tanks (150L). Low solubility have to be considered relative to the body of water the amount of the compound goes into - with low soluble CaSO4 for instance, you would have to target an astronomically high GH to get into trouble. If your targeting a reasonable 30 ppm of Ca (4.2 GH from Ca alone) you literally only need 0.13 g of CaSO4 per Liter - or 1/20th of the soluble limit for CaSO4.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
The OP didn't use CaSO4.2H2O

well not intentional 😬

Hi @Zeus. Oh Sorry... I just latched onto Darrels comment on the CaSO4 bit.

Now, with CaCl and MgSO4... before I did CaSO4 I used CaCl and mixing that with MgSO4 I don't recollect any particular issue with that. Definitely more soluble than CaSO4, but the particular mix of MgSO4 and CaCl, In the amounts I would use, didn't cause any issues for me when mixing it up as I described above.

Cheers,
Michael

View attachment 181541
Take a litre of water
good shake
The OP didn't use CaSO4.2H2O
Doesn't really matter, the ions will dissociate and then precipitate if the solubility of possible compounds is exceeded .

The screenshot posted suggested mixing CaCl2 and MgSO4 in a solution many thousands of times more concentrated than it would be in the aquarium. This issue has been discussed in a similar thread. If one manages to dissolve everything in the first place, you will have a solution of [Ca](2+), [Mg](2+) and Cl- and [SO4](2-). The Ca and Mg no longer care they came from a Cl salt or a SO4 salt. The Ca2+ will then react with the available SO42- and precipitate out of solution.

Further mixing these 2 with a carbonate or bicarbonate source only made things worse.

Back