Very nice job @John q ... Very lush and healthy! I always like mine a bit overgrown - or is it just me being lazy.Well back from the jolly bobs and pleased to say all the inhabitants are well, took me about 2 days to complete the head count but pretty sure there's none missing.
The tanks themselves were in much need of a good trimming, even by my standards. I'd already removed a few entangled vallisneria stems from the gyre and ceratopteris from the wave maker when I took these pictures.
View attachment 187001
View attachment 187000
Both definitely in need of a serious bit of pruning..
In other news it appears I have an inclination as to what causes BBA, or at least what helps prevent it. Answer = regular maintenance 🙄.
Even though I've only been away 11 days it seems the lack of daily maintenance has given the dreaded algae the upper hand.
There's definitely a lot to be said for spending 20 mins a day observing the tanks, and dipping your hand in should you spy anything unterward.
So here's a couple of pics for the algae connoisseurs.
Blobitis seems to be the worst affected and have had to remove a fair amount of it.
View attachment 187012
Old growth on the ludwigia looking shabby.
View attachment 187007
Windelov also had a fair bit removed.
View attachment 187009
Cryptocoryne providing lunch for the horned nerite. Also note the gsa on the glass.
View attachment 187006
View attachment 187002
Haven't so much put this picture up for its bba credentials, although there is some on the echinodorus and vallisneria tips, to me its a good representation as to how overgrown and dense the far left of the tank is becoming.
View attachment 187003
And a final token hardscape shot.
View attachment 187005
I should at this point apologise to the Mods for posting so many pictures without shrinking them beforehand, hopefully it won't overload the servers 🙉
Jimmy Cricket was famous for saying "And there's more" and there is...
So I've obviously got my work cut out over the next few weeks and have already done quite a big trim, will be doing another one this weekend and hopefully that will restore the flow around the tank. For anybody wondering why I didn't just hack the lot back in one go its out of fear of spiking the co2 which has happened to me in the past, and almost gassed my fish.
On a brighter note the little echinodorus has now turned into a fully fledged plant. Its still currently attached to the mother plant via the stalk and will be separated soon, only thing is I don't have space for any more sword plants so my baby is probably going to go in the bin.
View attachment 187018
View attachment 187019
The Mayaca red which I'd assumed was done for is actually starting to put out some new growth that doesn't look like a pipe cleaner 😜, nothing fantastic but it's not dead so that's a bonus in my book. You can see the old crippled rotting growth in this picture and the newer slightly better growth coming through.
View attachment 187020
OK almost there, last few fish snaps.
View attachment 187021
View attachment 187022
View attachment 187023