• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A problem with alternanthera reineckii 'purple'

oliverar

I have got a problem, the alternanthera reineckii 'purple' has started shooting out loads of roots all up it's stem, it has done it at several levels, all where the leaves branch off the main stem, should I pinch these out, or are these Important?
Any way, have an awesome Christmas everyone!

its just what stem plants do when they are searching for nutrients, you can nip them off if they are bothering you.

im not really the guy to ask on that as i dont have much experience myself, i dont wanna say up your nutrients just for your tank to go unbalanced, try contacting someone like CEG or one of the other mods they will be able to help you, if you post your tank stats you will get more advice too.

I am also not expert but I noticed with my Heteranthera zosterifolia when I doubled fert dosing she put less roots out of stem and also when she got hold well in substrate with nice long roots. On other hand my hygro is doing that all the time but I read it is just how it grows.

hygros will root from a single leaf, thats just the way they are, always searching to branch out and gain new sources of nutrients and new rooting zones, ive only ever had this with hygros myself.

oliverar said:
I have got a problem, the alternanthera reineckii 'purple' has started shooting out loads of roots all up it's stem, it has done it at several levels, all where the leaves branch off the main stem, should I pinch these out, or are these Important?

More nutrients simply means more leaves and more aerial roots.

The only way to address this particular issue:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgi3QQGdzAbBoIf1K4TyNGSaGp_no79wzZVRunZuWM_fGC-xZrcQ.png

Cheers,

And also, what do I need to do, to make the pinky purple colour become as vibrant as it was when it first came?

The same thing that you need to do for any healthy plant. Feed adequate levels of nutrients, ensure excellent flow/distribution within the tank, keep the tank clean and free of organic waste and, of course, keep the CO2 levels at appropriate levels.

Cheers,

ok, thank you. I will give it a try! :D and one last thing, is there a way that I can kill off all the living animals in my tank, without killing the bacteria? I am over run with these strange worm type things and small baby snails. Any idea's?

Back