• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Journal A nursery for my Carinotetraodon Travancoricus.

castle

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Dec 2015
Messages
683
Location
norfolk
I’ve only seen them get to about 3mm, and then they disappear, I’m hopeful one or two may make it past snack size. As I think I’ve only got quite young adults, after the house move I’ll set up to be able to split them up. The tank layout - those dang twigs - just doesn’t let me get to them, I syphon the area a few times, but no luck yet (limited by hand).
 

castle

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Dec 2015
Messages
683
Location
norfolk
It’s been a while since I’ve done any kind of decent update. As mentioned, a deep cut on my hand meant no maintenance - I don’t think I did a proper WC for about a month. I also noticed (or didn't) a grain of sand in cleaning sponge had put a few noticeable scratched in the front glass, which was demoralising.

Warts and all:

IMG_3154.JPG


Puffs; puffs are doing good. I think I’ve got 3F 2M and. Chases and eggs can be seen sometimes, I’ve only seen one 3mm tadpole and then never again. A proper breeding effort has been put on hold as I’m likely to move in a few months so it’s not the right time for me. Would hope for a wriggler to make it though.

Amano shrimp have their work cut out in the tank, algae has set a hold in the moss and BBA on the twigs. Though, recently algae looks like it’s dying back. Some 80% water changes have gotten things going in the right direction. I added a cheap external filter (APS) and that looks to be running well. This was just to help with flow, as the liberty wasn’t quite up to task. Outflow is facing upwards as puffs don’t love flow. Air stone has detached from a wall, and needs a clean.

Pothos is growing out of the back left, and when I say growing I mean shooting for the moon. As for plants in the tank I’ve trimmed out any damaged leaves, Vallis seems to be having a hard time, but some new leaves do appear. Crypts are doing fine, and lily looks alright to me. I added Ceratopteris thalictroides as I figure that might help out compete algae. However, this actually meant I had to start dosing more as Pothos, floaters and now Ceratopteris seem to be draining the nutrients from the tank. Ceratopteris is still a little pale.

I’ve removed a lot of twigs too, they’re awkward to clean around. Impossible to net a fish out too. I have some sightings of BGA, and I’ll try and add a video soon. 

Under macro, you can see a lot of bugs in the moss/substrate.

This is the newest female, at least I think that’s her gender.

IMG_3199.JPG
 

castle

Member
Thread starter
Joined
19 Dec 2015
Messages
683
Location
norfolk
These are nice warts 🙂
I've reduced the image sized, and therefore loss some of the quality so it's harder to see the less desirable areas ;)

I'll have another go at some photos this evening, and it's another deep clean tomorrow. I think I mentioned earlier that its 50/50 RO and tap water changes; but by reducing tap I think I created a noticable reduction in elements plants may require. Can't ever win.

The Lily has also put out some runners (two of 'em) which I think is a little ambitious of her.
 
Top