• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A month into the hobby, a life long dream coming true.

Drop in some dried leaf litter to make your own aufwachs. I use dried oak leaves from the back garden. You can readily pick up cattapa leaves from lots of aquashop websites. Takes about a day for them to sink, and then they gradually generate tasty biofilm.

Hm, dried leaves, okay, but i'm guessing that would stain the water? I was trying to avoid having tinted water but the fishies need food offcaurse.

So, i've been trying to figure out everything all at once leading to not having anything figured out. Allright Mike, focus ...

My lights! The precious owner went somewhat all out for a simple juwel tank and upgraded to Sera led tubes replacing the original t5 tubes.

One is a daylight tube, 6000 to 8000 kelvin, 1103 lm, 45 watts.

The other is a sunrise tube, 3000 to 4000 kelvin, 320 lm, 45 watts.

So in full song, they put out 90 watts, making for 0,5watts per liter in my 180 liter tank. So, this expensive setup gives me what is pretty much qualified as low lighting, which is ideal for my low tech setup i guess, so i'll run them at 100%!

I found this repashy alternative. My sewelias like it, but it is a bit difficult to apply, still trying out methods.

20220127_224721.jpg

making for 0,5watts per liter in my 180 liter tank
I cant advise you on the watts per liter estimate as I havent really used it that much, but you should keep in mind that watts per liter is different depending on if you are using T8/T5 tubes, or LED. So make sure the guide you followed is specifying that this is for LED watts, as LEDs are much more energy efficient than flourescent tubes, and therefore will have a lower wattage for the same amount of light. If that makes sense.

I found this repashy alternative. My sewelias like it, but it is a bit difficult to apply, still trying out methods.

Excellent tip! Thank you very much! I've ordered a pot straight away. Will eventually add leaves aswell but haven't had the change to visit my LFS yet.

I cant advise you on the watts per liter estimate as I havent really used it that much, but you should keep in mind that watts per liter is different depending on if you are using T8/T5 tubes, or LED. So make sure the guide you followed is specifying that this is for LED watts, as LEDs are much more energy efficient than flourescent tubes, and therefore will have a lower wattage for the same amount of light. If that makes sense.

Yes, you made a great point! Luckily i've found this wattage on the manufacturers website. There was no need to do a conversion myself as they have a little schematic on their website to compare Led tubes to T5 and T8 tubes. Apparantly both led tubes use around 10 to 15 watts each, and they replace a 45watts t5 tube.

Also ordered up 2 dosing bottles of a 1000ml's so i can mix up some more fertilizers. I only had 100ml bottle's available but that doesn't give me much accuracy to get the ferts right.

Back