• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi mate, im not running too much surface movement, just enough for the lily pipe to be pulling down water and creating a gentle ripple on the surface like this

Thanks Alastair. Your tank is looking ace, absolutely lovely.
I am still fiddling with mine and can't decide how much surface movement is enough. It's been very hot here and tank temps reached 28C, so I am afraid to experiment too much at the moment but I have way more than that. Watching out for algae like a hawk :)

Looking great mate, the fish look very happy and its only gonna get better!
I was thinking thet would be huge rainbows like in Sanj's display tanks, those Gertrude's are lovely and perfect for a set up like yours.
Cheerio
Ady.
Me too originally ha ha. I was expecting to have to rehome them but now I know what species they are im really happy keeping them.

Tanks looking awesome buddy.. Think i might need a trip up too see in the flesh :thumbup:

Cheers bud. Definitely come up mate your welcome anytime if you can remortgage to fuel your rocket ;)

Looks superb mate considering not even a month old, licorice gouramis are stunning fish seriously considering trading in my high tech setup. Awesome :clap:
Thanks tim. Glad you think so. Its amazed me considering its only 3 and a half weeks old. Fully cycled and growing in well. The licorice gouramis are beautiful fish just need the right parameters and only take live food although I watched one suck down a whole frozen bloodworm but took it about ten minutes. Such an elegant fish and when they display to one another it looks fantastic. Hard to pick out of the choccos and licorice which I favour more.

love it love it. shesshhh cubes are difficult to scape well done. love those fish also

Thanks ryno. It was a little challenge to scape especially being viewable from 3 sides but hopefully when my table has gone next week I can show the tank all the way around.

Just turned my co2 up now Ive seen your pinna growth :)

Few months from now it will be something else!
Like a lot.
:lol: is my pinna growing well then mate I have never tried it before.
Oo that reminds me I need to send you something.

Thanks Alastair. Your tank is looking ace, absolutely lovely.
I am still fiddling with mine and can't decide how much surface movement is enough. It's been very hot here and tank temps reached 28C, so I am afraid to experiment too much at the moment but I have way more than that. Watching out for algae like a hawk :)

Thank you :). Having so many positive comments early on gives me more determination to make sure it stays good.
I wasnt sure how much surface movement to have but thought a gentle break but no splashing would suffice. The crs and cherries seem far more active and plants look great too.
Your tanks 28?? Where do you live. ..

Love it mate, top set up. That wood would look great with some emmersed moss on it!

Thanks mate. I really like how its going. Although not sure if im right in the head as im already planning what to do with a bigger one next year after this has grown in........:confused: bigger and deeper.

And absolutely. Can't wait to get some weeping moss on the wood ;)

The emersed growth looks lush!
Thanks ali. Hopefully another few weeks and it will look totally different.

I've had a maidenhair fern sat above the fireplace for about a year that I've been meaning to plant on my filter sponge, might actually have to get off my blahblahblahblah and do it, seeing as yours looks so good.

Ha ha definitely mate do it. It will look fantastic in your tank. Look forward to seeing that if you do. I got the idea when I saw sanj's tank in pfk. Its took a hold of the wood really well. Could do with being a little greener though.

Sad news though I came home tonight and couldnt find my pregnant chocco. I thought she was in hiding but spotted her on the carpet under the dining table very dry. Felt awful.
I think I need some bigger floaters

Ah, that's a bugger. Never had a jumper (except the odd shrimp), even with 4 open top tanks.

I had one in the puddle but was sat next to the tank when it jumped so popped it back but when the emmersed plants were added it didn't happen again. Plus there isnt much plant growth yet in this. Its very open. The salvinia I have is mini variety so need to get bigger.

Ireland, he, he...We do happen to get a heat wave every 50 years or so :)

Lol. Never new that. The water agitation will help lots esoecially with that heat. I bet your heater didnt click on for a while ha ha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

what moss is this? (only on phone so cant get a good look, we dont all have huge 5" screens mr gt i9505)

Looks great,can't wait till this ones fully grown in:)

Thanks matt, shouldnt be too long the rate its taking off ha ha

what moss is this? (only on phone so cant get a good look, we dont all have huge 5" screens mr gt i9505)

lol @ the screen size comment. Its Weeping moss 1 - 2 gro if im correct. it came from Ian Holdich's tank. beautiful condtition and think it has some hc or something mixed in too

Looks great Al! Hope,it serves you well.

The moss is (here we go again, always on about 1-2 grow), 1-2 grow weeping moss. It took really well in my tank. It also got mixed with a bit of HC...which adds to the look IMO.

Looks great Al! Hope,it serves you well.

The moss is (here we go again, always on about 1-2 grow), 1-2 grow weeping moss. It took really well in my tank. It also got mixed with a bit of HC...which adds to the look IMO.

Cheers buddy. Its staying nice and moist so looks like its a winner :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I have always preferred big stones to bogwood but that is one epic centerpiece for a tank, Bet you cant wait to see all your fish swimming around it. how many are you planning on putting in?

I have always preferred big stones to bogwood but that is one epic centerpiece for a tank, Bet you cant wait to see all your fish swimming around it. how many are you planning on putting in?

thanks mate, i originally thought to use stones in this set up but a few types can affect water chemistry which isnt ideal for the fish im keeping. Plus id need some pretty big bolders!!

i must admit i was very lucky with the wood and got it very very cheap for its size and shape. bloody heavy though. if i hadnt have gotten this then id have used huge pieces of redmoor roots but an island type layout suits this and i have an idea in mind of what this will turn out like.

Fish wise id already added a few choccos my licorice gouramis shrimp ottos and corys, but have now got another 20 chocolate gouramis that ive just added this evening which has made the others a bit more lively, they all seem to be swimming about together and the little ones come and take food from my hand which is awesome. ive also got another ten to come on monday.

just took a quick photo of them. too fast to get a good shot and the tanks too big to get them all together
9044726038_8033e5f280_b.jpg

and a very short video clip. best played in 720 or 1080

That setup is another level,especially when it fills in more. have you entered competitions before mate and are you planning on entering this tank?

I dont know much about competitions, I have seen some stunning entries though. I heard you can enter some online, i might do it next time for a laugh just to see if i dont come last, it would be hilarious to show people and say "look i came in 5000th place!"

Looking good Alastair!
I just added a couple of chocolates to one of my setups and I like them a lot.

Back