• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Itll be fine as long as it steers clear of filter and water change pipe. It probably hitch hiked on one of the plants. If youve got a mature filter spare stick it in to help with any ammonia. Id be much more worried if you had john ines or similar in there. I dont think aqua soil will be as bad for ammonia.
Youll have to call it something daft like 'freddy fry' of 'billy the fish'

It seems ok anyway. Ive knocked the flow down on the filter a little. Its full of mature media from other filters anyway and I have tested the water for ammonia and the filter is mopping it all up well. I never test water for ammonia etc but have with this and 3 days ago I had no ammonia a little nitrite and nitrate and today no nitrite and some nitrate so big water change again and In went all my shrimp :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

well that's just tiny! have you managed to figure out how it go in there?

ust been doing a water change today and noticed this little guy. Im boggled as to how it's in their :confused: Hope it survives though just so I can see what it is

Oops sorry Alistair, I just got your mail and yes I believe the fry are rainbowfish from the plants I sent you.

I think it is most likely either; Melanotaenia inornata "Coomalie Crator" or Pseudomugil sp. Aru II

They were in the breeding tank where I was holding your plants. However if it is from the main tank where the plants originally came from then it could be any of half a dozen rainbow species or even a hybrid.

The tank looks really good, the maidenhair should start to throw up new fronds soon if it hasnt already started. I cut my main plant back like yours and new fronds are growing up already.

Just been doing a water change today and noticed this little guy. Im boggled as to how it's in their :confused:

sasagune.jpg

Hope it survives though just so I can see what it is

haha, I looked in my tank yesterday and saw a tiny brown thing moving with the current then it sank to the bottom, when i went to take it out a few hours later it moved slightly and i thought "did that thing just move?"

turns out i have 2 tiny baby snails lol, no idea how they got there, maybe they were on one of the pieces of moss I bought..maybe as eggs.

gonna leave them for now then get rid of them when they get bigger.

God,..I love low tech tanks. :) Don't worry Alastair,...you've just given that little fella an awesome home. He/She is gonna love living in it to bits.

Oops sorry Alistair, I just got your mail and yes I believe the fry are rainbowfish from the plants I sent you.

I think it is most likely either; Melanotaenia inornata "Coomalie Crator" or Pseudomugil sp. Aru II

They were in the breeding tank where I was holding your plants. However if it is from the main tank where the plants originally came from then it could be any of half a dozen rainbow species or even a hybrid.

The tank looks really good, the maidenhair should start to throw up new fronds soon if it hasnt already started. I cut my main plant back like yours and new fronds are growing up already.

Awesome mate. Ive added shrimp in the tank but find myself just constantly watching the fry and nothing else lol.

Cant wait to see what it turns out to be. Ill update you with pics as it gets bigger. Shame theres no others as its going to be pretty lonely :(

Im sure youll be able to identify it. I best watch it doesnt take a liking to my shrimp or ill be posting it to you hs ha.

The maidenhair has infact been throwing up new shoots pretty quick since about day 5 of set up. Its doing well mate.

God,..I love low tech tanks. :) Don't worry Alastair,...you've just given that little fella an awesome home. He/She is gonna love living in it to bits.

Hope so faizel. Water quality must be ok too if its happily swimming around all day. Im hoping its ok in soft water though but most rainbow fish like it harder so to speak I think.

Looks great, I would still be tempted to change a couple of your bulbs to LEDs though!
Perhaps a couple of blue ones to give a nice blue shimmer effect.

Thanks mate. What bulbs would you suggest mate. And ones that I can just pop straight in rather than have to use transformers. The one thing is that the actual units are specifically low energy units and only take up to 11w in the energy bulbs.

Well if they are main powered & gu10 fitting, any gu10 LED will fit.

Ordered 4 off ebay so looking forward to seeing how they look. I like the ripple effect they give.

Just been playing around with my ikea led light too which gives off a lovely glow.

za6u9yje.jpg

The invitro tennelus is throwing out runners rapidly which is great but the trident plant s are melting which I think is the cause of the rapidly returning film on the surface. Looks like ill definitely be using a skimmer.
I cant raise the lily pipe any higher as the water splashes over the edge of the tank.

Water evaporation though.... 7 litres a day :eek:

Maybe you should consider using a sump? Crystal clear surface and evaporation will be only visible in the sump, also you could install auto top off system....

Maybe you should consider using a sump? Crystal clear surface and evaporation will be only visible in the sump, also you could install auto top off system....
That might not be a great idea as the overflow will drive off the little C02 available in a low tech tank!

That might not be a great idea as the overflow will drive off the little C02 available in a low tech tank!

I was considering this but have since raised the glass outlet just a little so its actually pulling down the water from the surface and has cleared the surface scum completely whilst not really disturbing the surface too much although from a thread by darrell a little surface movement wouldn't be too bad as it will also bring in co2 from the atmosphere.
Im still planning on sumping but might wait until my bigger project next year ;)

Wow Alistair, Nice work! Its Humongous. :drowning:
Hey mate. Tis bit big lol. Hope your ok mate not seen you on here as of late.

Haven't been around much lately and glad to see this back on track, its looking great planted :) looking forward to future updates, congrats and well done :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks muchly Paulo. Im glad its all up and running now. Will begin to add my fish from storage towards the end of the week when im back and feeling well....starting with the licorice gouramis. :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Just thought id pop a few pics up of how the tank was last looking. The evaporation isnt as much now as id found out my jager heater had somehow recalibrated and the temp was 26 so was re adjusted and is comfortably at 25.

Just a couple of photos id taken earlier this week. The invitro tennelus is really taking off and throwing out runners quickly even though it's only been running a week and a half.
The crypts all melted unfortunately but are showing new leaves. Looks a little bare since they did but hoping theyll bounce back soon.

Here's a few shots first with the emmersed wood and the new shoots on the maiden hair fern
8917216343_298b92d4cf_b.jpg

And the tank ealier this week

8917209983_12b59e0af6_b.jpg

8917225323_7ca22b1c9f_b.jpg

Looking forward to adding the gouramis etc later this week.
Think ill need more shrimp though as 100 in here seems more like ten

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Stunning, and you could use that cabinet as a bomb shelter.

How do you deal with the evaporation? do you top it up and add conditioner when you please or wait for the weekly water change to add extra?

Back