• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
So could you not use the tmc and pond soil mixture as a base layer then just cap with a tub of tmc, I don't think there would be any problem with that.
If you have the gear for CO2 then why not, surely if you used it for the first couple of months just to get the plants going and bulked up a bit then it would be beneficial.

I may use some of this as a base layer yes, but it would take more than one tub to cap an area that's 4ft by 4ft. If I used too little then the soil would seep out into the water.

Either way I'll be using it all up even if it's only for the house plants :lol:

Definitely worth trying as a base. Could you test some in a tub or something while waiting on the tank to come back?

Was thinking of that just before mate. I'm not letting it go to waste anyway. I'm wondering if I were to put about 2 centimeters of it down then fill with a little water just enough to cover it then the pond soil would drop down with it being a finer grain. Might get the jug out tomorrow

I have missed your thread for a little while. I can imagine that sinking feeling on seeing those silicone marks. At least it will be rectified and only a few days to go. Ditto on re-using some of that subrate as the base. I have done that on some of my tanks before. Shame to waste it, not to mention the £s.

Ahw that sucks. Substrate must cost an arm and a leg with that tank. My 3x3ft tank has 9bags of flourite and its not enough to make nice slopes.

I have missed your thread for a little while. I can imagine that sinking feeling on seeing those silicone marks. At least it will be rectified and only a few days to go. Ditto on re-using some of that subrate as the base. I have done that on some of my tanks before. Shame to waste it, not to mention the £s.

Hiya Sanj, yeah massive sinking feeling, even more when i was draining and scooping it all out, on the plus side the hose adapter attached to the carpet cleaner is a bloody good way to suck up every last drop of water from the tank :lol:
just a week and 2 days to go and it will be back. have made some modifications to the cabinet too for peace of mind.
ive decided i will re use as much of the removed substrate as possible, although when u took a scoop out of the holding tub im sure you can imagine what my first words were when i saw the state of it when i took the lid off lol..... two words holy and sssssssugar ;)

on its own in a glass of water it just wasnt settling, the water was very dirty but a second glass with the same amount in, then topped with an equal amount of cat litter for testing and its kept it down although the water is slightly cloudy so atleast i wont need all new anyway. might just get 5 fresh tubs of tmc nutrasoil and use 30 litre of the previous substrate.

Ahw that sucks. Substrate must cost an arm and a leg with that tank. My 3x3ft tank has 9bags of flourite and its not enough to make nice slopes.

Hiya Ryno, yeah it did suck and still does but im more cheerful as ive had other good news regarding bith this tank and previous tank so concentrating on that now.

But yes, it would work out roughly £240 to re do the substrate again

Well atleast something good. Ive also spent about £300 (R3500) on substrate but its not enough. Any way atleast your tank gets repaired.

Thought I'd get updating my journal. Tank has arrived back all fine. Will allow 24 hours for it to adjust to my house temperature before I do a 48 hour fill test. Then will get it all set up again Tuesday evening or Wednesday.

8541119951_2dd7084470_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

Kind of went a bit ott on new filtration for this too and just purchased two beastly eheim 2080 filters....OOF!!
. May have to sell one depending on how much flow I get. Two via spray bars may be overkill but with lily outlets might be ok.
They should be here Tuesday and all will be ready.

Hurrah! Going to be a long weekend staring at an empty tank...
Going to be a bit longer than a weekend mate, sad news is that the structural seal on one edge just won't keep it's seal. Absolutely gutted. Tank is going back and a new tank has been ordered from AML but will be a 9 week wait :'( will be couple of centimetres higher too

Nothing against jez work as his tanks have always been great but this tank just didn't want to stay together no matter what. So he offered a full refund.

Looking forward to seeing this develop ...... Again. Good luck.

Thanks Charlie. So will I when I eventually get set up.......
Staring at a cabinet and filters is just pure torture.

sad news mate :( ease your pain setup a high tech nano on the cabinet you could have it grown in in 9 weeks ;)

Lol thanks tim. Funny you should say that. Im contemplating getting a little nano and putting it in the alcove at the side of the big tank and try to catch all my various shrimp which are akways buried with eggs but think the fish are eating the babies. Will make catching the fish easier too when they go over to the big tank.

Reactions: tim
Crippling :( :mad:
Gutted for you mate, as im sure the whole forum will be......
"All good things come to those who wait"
Keep smiling :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back