• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A good up-to-date book on Aquarium Fish

Jakes

Hi There,

When I started in this hobby in the late 80's I got this book as a Present in the early 90's:

Handbook of Tropical Aquarium Fishes
by Herbert R. Axelrod (Author), Leonard Schultz (Author)

It was a great book with 150 pages covering the basics including a little on plants but for me at the time more importantly it had 500 odd pages of fish types and great information on said fish. since then I have moved loads and the book seemed to have disappeared, though it may still be at my moms house somewhere!

I was just wondering if there there is a modern equivalent on fish species knocking about that people can recommend. the reason I say modern is because I know in the last 30 years the hobby has moved on and fish have been reclassified. therefore it will be good to have more up to date information.

Regards
Jake

Seriously Fish - likely the most up to date profiles you'll find (except some older profiles ... though these are also ones with little scientific basis for updating)

If you insist on a book, consider that the data will likely be minimum 3 years "old" & more likely 5 years "old"
Most "new" books are reprints with some editing of older books, often with the same photo plates & misidentifications carried forward - publishing costs are just too high compared to expected sales, not just for the physical book production but also purchasing new photos, a non-subsidized limited run book publication with quality photos (& print paper) would likely retail upwards of US $300

For specific species a search of scientific literature is likely the most current (though researchers can disagree- even quite dramatically), then there are some outstanding hobbyist blogs (such as Martin & Tom C's apisto sites ) & some (more scientific) forums

D.Mills Aquarium Fish is a good reference point for myself, but as alto says very hard to keep anything Fish to up to date with a book .I find PFK magazine were new species,breeding and biotopes are discussed regularly is well worth it .Try good forums for individual species e.g. Planet Catfish and numerous Chiclid ones seem to be coming up

Thanks guys,

I'm an old fart and like to leaf through books, I know if I want decent information that the internet is the place to find it... if you search properly, but sometimes sitting down on the sofa and just reading a book... on fishes is one thing I really enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll have a look at them.

Jakes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back