• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A forest unnamed - Fluval F35

Just finished a bit of reshuffle with the wood in the tank and a did a nice trim.

ryderave.jpg

u3egumev.jpg

vaty9yqa.jpg

eta6agev.jpg

Will post new pics tomorrow once it has all settled down.

Reactions: tim
Kind of happier with the scape now, but need the foreground plants to fill out more - feels too patchy at present. Thinking about moving the hair grass to one side in the front and go with HC on the other? Or should I go with the HC and then the hair grass to break up the lines leading into the rocks etc?

adadu9uj.jpg

aqu6uduz.jpg

So now that the HC arrived, I have finished planting. Ended up moving all the hair grass to form a border between the HC and the hard scape. Was surprised at the root structures that had already been produced by the hair grass - guess I must be doing something right...

Updated snap shot to follow tomorrow.

Posted from the comfort of my iPhone...

Looking good. I think you made the right choice with how you planted the hc and hg. It will look mint when the carpet fills in.

Thanks for the feedback Andy :) I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. Want to get a handle on this tank and then attempt a strict minimalist style tank in the do!aqua mini m I've got in the attic.

Nothing like a nice quick 25% water change :)

Hoping to add some Amanos today along with 2-3 more Otto's. Will look to grow the neon tetra shoal too, 2 just isn't good.

My plan to grow the tetra population was been vetoed by the pair of Siamese fighters. 10 neon tetras decimated in roughly 30min. Them fighters are quite something. Oh well.

:( feisty buggers fighters mate, I kept one that took great pleasure in biting the heads of my shrimp and spitting them out as I looked in the tank, never again lol.

I guess their aggression levels are much higher than we give them credit for. I can relate to the shrimp butchering - witnessed the betta pair methodically hunting all my shrimp too.

Time to get the other tank up so I can have some peace (shrimp) - my son is rather attached to his 'daddy & mommy fighting fish' ha ha.

Reactions: tim
Could be aggression triggered by breeding behaviour, have you noticed a bubble nest being built ? I think I've read you need to remove the female once babies are around in case the male turns on her, no expert though hopefully someone with betta experience can chime in, scapes coming along a treat btw mixed hc/hug carpet will look the biz.

The problem with betta is you will pretty much always get differing opinions, I kept and bred thousands of betta, male betta should always be kept alone, betta do not do well in pairs, groups etc the area where this differs is with females, females can be kept together but I always advise groups of 6+ as a minimum, even all females groups will show aggression to each other, one of the most understood thing about betta is that they are not like most fish each and every betta have there own personality some are extremely placid where others can act and only be described as evil, betta in community tanks are hit and miss ( same in shrimp tanks) some will terroris everything in the tank others will be tore to pieces, most tetras and barbs etc will harass betta none stop normally resulting in disease and or death of the betta ( normally ) in short I guess what im saying betta should be kept alone and if tank mates are desired then things like corys, ottos etc are the only real options imo

Mark

As Mark and others say, Male Bettas really should be kept on their own or with a select group on inhabitants and even then there is no guarantee the Betta will get along with them long term.

Some start out okay but tend to get more aggressive as they mature. I bought one recently and he immediately started going for the Ramshorns in the tank.

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it. It just comes down to my inexperience with the freshwater side of this hobby. I think I might add a few of those cute looking Oscars.... Ha ha.

Tim, no sign of any nest and I think as Mark and Andy say, this particular fish is just a beautiful red nightmare.

After almost 12 days of no CO2, the tank is looking terrible despite min lighting. New CO2 cylinder was installed last night so things resume as normal today. Got to replant as so many plants just ended up floating. Is this normal?

Do I just go straight back to normal photo period now that co2 is back online? Do I super dose co2? Any advice/feedback is welcome.

if at full co2 you will need full lighting , otherwise you may gas any inhabitants

Back