• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Forest Pathway

Hi!
First, the roots look very nice, you have a lot of possibilities.

In my opinion, if you still want to keep all together, maybe if you bring the small one in between the others, you will have a deepness effect but without symmetry.
The golden ratio is also related to the position of the main rock or root in relation with the lenght of the tank (somewhere at a third of it).
Another solution is to split them, and to get a main root and a small, second one. But it is up to you. Good luck!
Thanks for all the ideas. I know some people don't like the symmetry at all but I'm exactly on the opposite end - I like it and I put quite a lot of effort to achieve it. It wasn't easy to get matching branches and I think I will keep the way it is for now. Thanks though

Thanks for all the ideas. I know some people don't like the symmetry at all but I'm exactly on the opposite end - I like it and I put quite a lot of effort to achieve it. It wasn't easy to get matching branches and I think I will keep the way it is for now. Thanks though

Please don't get me or others wrong : symmetry is nice and have its aesthetic value. The ideea was that you cannot find it in nature ... at all!
So, in the end of the day, you decide what is nice in your own tank. But if you want to make it look natural, symmetry have no place there. This was the
meaning of all comments.

Please don't get me or others wrong : symmetry is nice and have its aesthetic value. The ideea was that you cannot find it in nature ... at all!
So, in the end of the day, you decide what is nice in your own tank. But if you want to make it look natural, symmetry have no place there. This was the
meaning of all comments.
Thanks mate. I understand all the comments well and really appreciate each input, however sometimes we take the risk, go our own paths and do things different. I'm always open to constructive comments and that's why I create the journal so everyone can express their thoughts about the layout. And just because I decide to do things my way it doesn't mean I'm not respecting point of view of other members.

My next step was to work on the base of the layout. It was hard to do anything as I only had last few pieces of wood. I tried to use anything to keep it all in the position I wanted and my boy was constantly destroying it.
c444bdc69928f3a3f39b4919e599fcb0.jpg

After this stage my preparations have stopped for a while as out of nowhere me and Rayan Thang To (while chatting about aquascaping) decided to go Portugal and see Submersas Florestas by Takashi Amano. Even though initially we were not 100% sure we are going (we only spoke about it) my head was all around the journey rather than my new layout.
To cut the story short we have made it
c80748067f869996f88f5fa723bc2198.jpg

92ecc2f02196a5f3cbcaed241301211b.jpg

While in Portugal we have also managed to visit a great aquascaping shop Aqueden (highly recommend to all hobbyists)
a82a27c36bc4822a6a7d2205762a6359.jpg

Why am I posting all this? Because that journey has changed my thinking. I came back full of willingness to work a bit harder on my tank ;) instead of cowboys job with my layout I decided to built a sand pit exactly of the size of my tank and do it all proper. I only used leftovers of my decking but that was more than enough
e5e411983e1bc519859262fd13dd6957.jpg

Looking to first picture I remembered an visual effect used in TV in 60'-70', with the rock singers (if I remember well, there is a Led Zeppelin clip close to this) or other singers, multiplied in a kind of fan, from the front to the back. It is like you look to your face in a mirror from a mirror.

Looking to first picture I remembered an visual effect used in TV in 60'-70', with the rock singers (if I remember well, there is a Led Zeppelin clip close to this) or other singers, multiplied in a kind of fan, from the front to the back. It is like you look to your face in a mirror from a mirror.
Are you trying to say that Led Zeppelin clip was my inspiration? ;)

Last edited:
symmetry is nice and have its aesthetic value. The ideea was that you cannot find it in nature ... at all!

This is such an odd statement (can I say that without offence? I hope so :) )
There is very much "symmetry in nature" - with books & papers published on this subject ... try "google scholar" as well as "google" for texts & images
but it is very difficult to recreate in an aquascape

@Konrad Michalski - intriguing journal!
especially with that spontaneous trip to Portugal & Submersas Florestas & Aquaeden, can't wait to see where this journal takes you next :D

This is such an odd statement (can I say that without offence? I hope so :) )
There is very much "symmetry in nature" - with books & papers published on this subject ... try "google scholar" as well as "google" for texts & images
but it is very difficult to recreate in an aquascape

@Konrad Michalski - intriguing journal!
especially with that spontaneous trip to Portugal & Submersas Florestas & Aquaeden, can't wait to see where this journal takes you next :D

No offence, I understood well what you said. I didn't refer to that kind of simmetry, that is existing just as a singular form. I was speaking about simmetry in the macro-structures of the nature. Otherwise, there is a simmetry in snowflakes, in nuclear division of the cell, in chromozomes, ... not to mention DNA. But, when you step out from the genetics and biophysics, everything becomes totally asimmetrical. There is no tree, face, river, rock, ... nothing made by nature and human eye can see that is symmetric. So, is just a question of aesthetics.

Edit : By the way, second form looks great!

Back