• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Fluval Flora Newbie

dazza

Hello Everybody!

Well cutting a long story short, after receiving scratched Flora and then getting a complimentary Ebi, I have 2 tanks.
I'd been deliberating what to do with my Flora whilst waiting for its arrival, ranging from making a habitat for reptile/amphibians to making a nano reef tank, much like the 100L setup I own already.

Other than my reef tank which I've had running for about 8 months now, I have had no experience in aquatics but I make up for that with enthusiasm.

So far my intentions are to cultivate a neat little planted tank with some livestock.

boxes side by side
P1030716.jpg

No scratches! yay
P1030717.jpg

Polystyrene rockwork removed
P1030718.jpg

On the shelf with lamps from both kits attached. You can see the glass lid with the gaps round the edge here and hole in the middle
P1030719.jpg

I also have a 2nd hand Fluval 205 external filter on its way to me and have purchased a glass drop checker, in line bubble counter and a CO2 diffuser. I'll also be looking at some cheapish lilly pipes as the external is missing its inlet/outlets.

If anyone has experience fixing up a 205 to some lilly pipes, then I'd be glad to hear about it.

The Flora comes with the Fluval CO2 20 kit, which I'm hoping will serve its purposes until I see how successful this little tank becomes, but Ideas on how to upgrade it would be great. A solenoid perhaps?

Any advice at all about anything would be thankfully received :D

This looks like a great plan. I'm sure that those with more experience will be along in no time to offer advice. You'll find lots of nano tank journals and finished scapes on this site to offer you inspiration.

Enjoy!

Thanks Packers, yup I'm already trawling my way through looking at all these amazing tanks.

First thoughts are to have a single large rock, tall plants at the back, reducing down to short growth at the front.
No idea what kind of plants mind you, but there's time yet :)

It looks like Dennerles Nano design was a winner since all its competitors are copying it very closely. These are nicely styled nanos. Looking forward to see what you do with it.

Perhaps go with two contrasting scapes like a Jungle vs an Iwagumi or even have one scape that is made up by two tanks...

Thanks peeps, it is a good little kit but I cant really say how effective the CO2 kit is that comes with it but its probably okay for an introduction to this side of the hobby.

Unfortunately Sanj, I don't think I have the room to run both of these tanks. I had considered squeezing one on a shelf below the one pictured but alas it wont fit :(

So its likely that I'll either try and sell the scratched one or keep it in storage at the parents for future projects.

Would be interesting to see if its possible to remove the back panel of glass on both and join them together back to back, but I very much doubt it would stay watertight.

My first thought was for an iwugumi set up, but I'm so easily distracted and just cant decide.

Can anyone advise what size diameter lilly pipes are best for the hose from the Fluval 205, or if I should replace the pipes altogether? If so, what size tubes do I need?

My fluval 205 has arrived and it seems to fit my eheim 16/22mm tubing perfectly.
Time to get some lily pipes I think, thing is will the 16mm pipes fit correctly?
I would have thought that the tubing would need to be 1mm smaller than the lily pipes in order to get a snug fit?

Also I think 16mm lily pipes might be slightly overkill for my little nano, 13 or 9mm might be more appropriate, is there a way to step down the size of the hose?

Other question is that would it be prudent to fit a valve on the return hose to the tank, so I can adjust flow?

Doh, of course its regulated withe the aquastop lever isn't it, silly me.

Just need ideas to downsize the pipe. I've found a 16-12mm connector but is there a way to reduce down to the 9mm lily pipes?

Right I've taken the plunge and ordered the 13mm lily pipes, so I'll get some clear hose and go with the 12mm connector to fit them.

Another quick question

I've 1 bag each of the fluval plant and shrimp stratum, my plan was to mix them up for my substrate. Is this a good idea or is am I better off using something else?

Done a doodle of the aquascape I've been pondering.

I'm going to go for a jungle look I think, using some stones and root as main features against a bank of the fluval substrate.

Image12.jpg

The planting style would be tall to the rear corner reducing in size toward the front, with ferns and mosses around the root and stones in the midground and a short carpet at the front.

I haven't a clue regarding plant species so helpful hints would be most welcome :)

Been trawling an auction site and found some pretty compact Co2 regulator valves with solenoids and adapters to fit disposable 15mm canisters as well as standard 22mm canisters. Most are 240V although a few look like they have non uk 2-pin plugs on them, could I just cut it off and wire a uk plug on?

At around £50 im quite tempted to get this and and flog the fluval kit. They look okay and I'd get a better performing CO2 system.

Opinions?

Gary Nelson said:
Hi, what type of bulb does this use?

Its a fluval 11W power compact flourescent lamp, I happen to have 2 of them.
Not sure if it only fits fluval branded bulbs as they are secured into the fitting with 2 philips head screws?

Thanks for that - I am very tempted to get one of these myself now, it will have to be mail order though as i can't seem to find anywhere local that stocks them.... shame as I'd like to have a look at one and the filter that comes with it.

They're a neat little tank, most LFS I've seen seem to have either the fluval flora or Ebi, which are identical.

The filter is the Fluval nano aquarium filter which has a mini spray bar and 2 small compartments for filter sponge it can be fitted with an add-on for holding a carbon cartridge.
It's fine for this size tank but i've added the external filter and removed the fake rockwork from the tank to try and increase water volume a bit whilst also. keeping it tidy looking.

Just debating whether to upgrade the CO2 kit though

Another quick noobie question,
As I'm used to marines, I normally run filter floss with bio pellets or rowa phos and rowa carbon.
What should I be running in my external filter? What kind of media etc too?

Back