• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A different approach - Algae improvement with low light

Re: A different approach

That's looking really good Tom.
I would never have considered using such large plants in a nano, but they look perfectly proportioned.

Cheers,
James

Well we're yet to see how wise it was! The Undulata is really starting to kick in now. I just wish the Willisii and Parva would get a move on! They're so slow in comparison!

I've given up with the idea of aeration now too, after half an hour of it running! It's just too noisy!

Tom

No real update, just a picture :) Some AlgExit arrived today from TGM with the 60P. I thought I'd just try it on the GDA in here out of interest more than anything. The algae itself doesn't bother me, but I just wanted to give this a try :)

IMG_4012-1.jpg

I've been using the AlgExit for 10 days now, and so far there has been zero noticeable difference to any algae. I know it does take a while to have an effect, so I will hold off judgement for the time being.

Cherries darting about in the (considerable) flow
IMG_4097.jpg

Otos hard at work on the green algae
IMG_4096.jpg

I've changed my CO2 configuration too, due to the ever increasing amount of Staghorn and BBA. I've been running at 2bps for a little while now, but now I've moved it over to the other side of the tank. There is also a mini powerhead pointing at it too, which blows it down to the substrate. The filter outlet then blasts it across the front of the tank.

I can't think the algae is to do with poor flow, as the affected areas are in high flow All plants are waving about, and it's mainly on the older balansae and undulata leaves. The CO2 shouldn't be inconsistent either, I haven't changed it. It's only ever increased. The KH is at 12 and the pH at 7.5 (thanks to Aquasoil), so it's not massively hard. According to the JBL KH/pH conversion chart, this gives me 12ppm, but I know this isn't reliable.

IMG_4099.jpg

There are some parva leaves though which are yellowing slightly (also in decent flow), so when I make my new EI mix today I'll make it a bit stronger.

Tom

Tom said:
I'm interested to see if it will. TGM were very enthusiastic about it, and one or two people on here have also mentioned results. If it doesn't, it doesn't - I'm not worried about the green algae.

well if people say it works, it must. Good old marketing eh.

Tank looks great by the way

Decided on a spontaneous photoshoot when I got in from the early shift.

Got a couple of versions. Of course, the Cherries didn't behave! Notice the cloned fish? :rolleyes:

These might end up being my AGA entries actually, unless things fill in better by then. The Parva is just about becoming visible now.

small2.jpg

small1.jpg

Re: A different approach - photo shoot

Lovely scape Tom, and great photography too.
You've convinced me to give Crypts a try again.

Cheers,
James

Re: A different approach - photo shoot

Here's a pic from today. I've downgraded from 18w to 11w as BBA and (mainly) Staghorn were getting out of control. I have been pumping in so much CO2 recently, that I think due to the water hardness, it's just not dissolving. So, down with the lighting in the hope that it will sort things out.

IMG_4377.jpg

Re: A different approach - Lower Lighting

Hi Tom,

beautiful little tank.

You're going to be fine with 11w. That's what I have on mine (same size) and all plants (including HC) are filling in nicely and the tank is algae-free.

cheers,

GM

Re: A different approach - Lower Lighting

I haven't read this whole thread, but I have to say that more and more I think lighting is the issue for many. Its not that high light is an issue per se but matching the lighting with high CO2 is often unachieavable due to livestock. No livestock would mean you could max the co2. I have taken to using lower light on all my 'high light' tanks.

Lovely tank BTW Tom :)

Sam

2 weeks or so now with low light combined with silly amounts of EasyCarbo and CO2, and the algae is much improved. Not gone, but improving. The growth doesn't appear to have slowed either, which says something.

Shame the tank doesn't look great with such low light though - it's dim even compared to my 14l P@H cube.

Question about moss though - does Xmas and Weeping Moss actually attach? I'm sure it was Xmas I've used before, but it might have been Java. This time around though it won't attach to anything. I'm scared it's just going to lift off one day.

Tom

Tom, I gave up on weeping as I kept finding bits of it around the tank. Wouldn't attach for me at all. Never grown xmas but I have mini xmas at the moment. dunno if it grows the same as its bigger brother but does attach a bit better. Am about to trim back hard to see if that encourages more spread and attaching.

What about switching to RO if you're having problems with CO2 dissolution? Seeing as it's only a small tank you wouldn't need much?

Tom said:
Question about moss though - does Xmas and Weeping Moss actually attach? I'm sure it was Xmas I've used before, but it might have been Java. This time around though it won't attach to anything. I'm scared it's just going to lift off one day.

In my experience Xmas moss usualy attaches very well, but i never had weeping moss root properly to the rock work.

Cheers,
james

Back