• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Chocolate Puddle

dw1305 said:
Hi all,
If you like the Idea of having a plant trailing down and around the outside of the tank. Do you remember I experimented with Hydrocytle varieties in the pipefish tank.
That is a brilliant tank Gill, with the Hydrocotyle as a floater it is the look I like.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrell, I am thinking of redoing the idea again, as i have some growing again.

Alastair, how much are you paying for the choccos as seen some today in Coleshill for £6 each

A Chocolate Puddle

Gill said:
dw1305 said:
Hi all,
If you like the Idea of having a plant trailing down and around the outside of the tank. Do you remember I experimented with Hydrocytle varieties in the pipefish tank.
That is a brilliant tank Gill, with the Hydrocotyle as a floater it is the look I like.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrell, I am thinking of redoing the idea again, as i have some growing again.

Alastair, how much are you paying for the choccos as seen some today in Coleshill for £6 each

Well I have a few in storage so to speak but my lfs, only gets them twice a year but does them for £4.00. Not every place seems to be able to get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good price, Will have a look how much they will be. When I get my hands on the Price list from Ruinemans.

just a quick update, will have the whole substrate fully planted up soon, mainkly with crypt wendtii and wendtii tropica all mixed in, with tennelus. the tank needed some more substrate so in will be going a fair few litres of ada amazonia but will be a few days of soaking and draining to rid of the ammonia so as not to harm the cory babies which appear to be pandas as a couple have the markings coming on.

heres the view of the tank from entering the room

7222420510_c9ea4a0e91_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-, on Flickr

the Cyperus really has gone mental :lol: :lol: :lol:
7222536496_b3759deeec_b.jpg
and just one to show the true depth of the tank as its hard to see from the front......

7222411676_b41f556847_b.jpg

Lots of planting needed to cover most of that ha ha. This was supposed to have been a cheap option ha ha. the floaters are doing well, have a lovely colour to them, but i have noticed how much slower the different varieties of java ferns are taking to grow.

roll on the day i can remove that awful piece of terracotta pot keeping the wood down too.

tank looks fab,i really like that size, shame my stand isn't able to accommodate something similar! cant wait to see it in the flesh :wideyed:

ha do we have floaty wood :p ive had a filter bag of rocks weighing a oak branch down for almost 3 months! finally its pretty much water logged now tho!

Hi all,
I reckon you could probably sink the caddies to be honest - get them out of sight and that corner will look a lot more natural.
I'd agree, and the Cyperus would be fine with the root submerged. The other option would be to keep them emersed, and plant a trailer in them. A carpet plant like Glossostigma or Hemianthus would be good, and these do very well in this type of situation, or you could try something like Hygrorhyza aristata.

cheers Darrel

I bought some Starwort from the Pond Section last weekend and Loving how it looks. Like a Giant HC, I think that would make a great trailing plant, along With Creeping Jenny another Favorite of Mine.

looking like a beautiful planted tank in the making, i really like the shape of the tank, is the starwort you bought Callitriche palustris?? I would be interested to see how it grows in the tank in warmer water and under your lights

A Chocolate Puddle

Alastair, the tank is looking superb, great use of the emersed area. The cyperus looking great.

Why not add some hygros or rotalas around the cyperus? On a floating raft?

Great tank indeed, inspirational.

indeed ghost, Great tank,and inspirational.

saw this tank in the flesh yesterday and it really is a cracker. the tank size and shape i really like, and the chin wag was cool :lol: lots of great ideas and great info :)
very kind guy, and very much appreciated!

has any of your post come yet? :rolleyes:

ghostsword said:
Alastair, the tank is looking superb, great use of the emersed area. The cyperus looking great.

Why not add some hygros or rotalas around the cyperus? On a floating raft?

Great tank indeed, inspirational.

Thanks Luis, im still struggling with what to do with the emersed area. Need ideas

just a quick update on how the puddles going, plant growth is going great, quicker than i expected it too, especially the rotala and cyperus. All the baby corys will soon be leaving their home as they are just shoveliing around the substrate too much but will be adding in some pygmy corys instead.

the Echinodorus has finally sent its first emersed leaf above water which im chuffed with, its taken a few weeks but now hoping it will keep send higher ones. im getting one new leaf growth a week.

heres the emmersed leaf and the colour is much nicer above water
7344600964_a86059ed1e_b.jpg
Untitled by Mr-T-

it had trippled in size since i took this pic on wedensday but is drooping into the water so maybe theyll get much thicker the more they grow above water.

My rotala looks amazing too for a non co2 tank
7302634902_998b0594d3_b.jpg

also my echinodorus schlueteri leopard has sent out a flower stem which im leaving to see what happens
7156491743_1a21882063_b.jpg
notice the moss just under the water too, its flourishing fantastcially and looks really healthy. ive introduced some baby amanos and they love cleaning the stuff.
im suffering little if any algae at all, i have my otto finally back home and hes taken to cleaning all the glass etc and now has a big round belly.

oooo almost forgot, here are the main characters of the show, the first 5 to go in and they love it. they really complete the tank.
7341313924_56a76760b7_b.jpg
another 5 to go in next week along with my mixed shrimp. ive already spotted a male appearing to pair off with a female so fingers crossed. i sit for ages staring at them.

and finally just two full tank shots, the tank now has been planted up wth crypts so just waiting for them to grow in which they seem to be doing very well now, especially thr wendtii tropica variety.
7309562638_5c3f475c01_b.jpg

and my fave view, this is the most recent pic showing the growth coming along really well
7156114573_6d0dd8ec52_b.jpg

will be upating as i go along with the additional choccos coming in next week and also possibly replacing the cyperus or adding too as its lacking something. Thanks everyone for the great feedback so far.

Re: A Chocolate Puddle Now with Chocolates

Your tank looks really really good :thumbup:

This is def gonna be one of the next big ukaps tanks im sure ... haha how did you get you chocolates to line up so perfectly for the pic :D

looks really good mate, really good!

have you have any chocolate jumpers yet?

Hey Al its really looking fab now. Cant wait til you have even more growing out. The chocs are beautiful. Love the way they are following each other in a line !. I saw some in my LFS today for £4 each which i thought was really cheap. I may have to buy some but think my dwarf neon rainbowfish might be a bit too shirty for the choco's liking. What do you think ? I have one male and two females but he does like to "charge" fish and show them who is boss. No real agression just the chase thats all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back