• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Box of Rocks

Berlioz

After watching George and Adam livescape yesterday, I felt compelled to have a go. (I think I need a sand pit now, it really fulfilled my need to rescape without actually doing it).

The stones are some sort of quarried igneous rock (either basalt or andesite) and rather plain Jane at times. Still, was a lot of fun procrastinating with my rocks. Got some weird looks from the neighbours though haha.

For anyone wondering, the dimensions of the box were roughly 55 wide x 35 deep.

512935d643b75bfbea6c70d2f1de4301.jpg

793c238cec24b4539242f0e2fa2818b0.jpg

8c52a4ce5bdf8c169add60401f782139.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Your off to a good start, I would however not place small stones on top of the big ones and go with a little less in between.....less is more.

To be honest, I'd probably chuck wood on top of this if it were for a tank. I think it would look a bit more balanced this way, and resemble a lot of creeks I run past. None of the pieces I had at hand were interesting enough for an iwagumi/rock only hardscape.

I found that although you might have awesome rocks to start off with, it's not the type of rocks that make the scape.... just keep playing with whatever you have, even if you never use it in a tank, it's still great fun to play in a sandbox ;) and you will eventually find that you can make nice scapes with the most unlikely rocks.

I found that although you might have awesome rocks to start off with, it's not the type of rocks that make the scape.... just keep playing with whatever you have, even if you never use it in a tank, it's still great fun to play in a sandbox ;) and you will eventually find that you can make nice scapes with the most unlikely rocks.

Oh yes, definitely. To be accurate, I suppose I meant none of the ones I had would have made for an interesting/large enough father stone, but other than that I completely get where you're coming from.

And it definitely is fun - beats what I should have been doing. My mum even decided to have a go. :lol:

I think it looks OK. I always try to emulate natural geological formations, in terms of direction of bedding planes, joints and outcrops.
The way you've placed the small rock fragments is fairly realistic as weathering and erosion would see them collecting in pockets and ledges etc.
If you've ever seen Takashi Amano adding smaller fragments he tends to pour them onto the existing hardscape and bar a few tweaks he usually leaves them where they fall; in effect he's emulating the process of natural erosion.

struc3a-jpg.5611.jpg

Back