• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90x30x30 low maintenance

if you don't like the "stingray" shape of them there is others, like botia loaches. just be careful which species you go for, some of them can be ****heads
Mmm i only loaches I like are Ambastaia sidthimunki and rosy loaches. But i'm not familiar with loaches generally.

But no I was wondering if you could suggest any hillstream species actually since you said they might do well in here. The water might be too warm for them though.

My CW51s seem to be getting better. Starting to see signs of their barbels recovering. The big one who wasn't eating a couple of weeks back is actively looking for food whenever I feed the tank. Will be releasing them from their confinement in maybe 3 weeks.

Went out to buy another breeder box today as I want to get more fish next weekend and will be keeping them in the breeder box for the time being. My LFS has Corydoras hastatus and CW155s in stock so will be going down to check them out. Not sure which one I will end up buying. I really should be quarantining them in their own tank but I'm not sure I want to set one up for them since I only have a very tiny tank on hand and the water would be much too warm for them. I might run a little corner filter in this tank to get some media going in case I want to quarantine, but in all likelihood i'll just pop the new fish into this tank but keep them separated with the breeder box.

Anyway just wanted to share a picture of my Otocinclus cocama. Glad that they are doing ok!

53684568261_be2d741859_b.jpg
20240427_153304 by Lenny Lim, on Flickr

One of my Otocinclus cocama died. It was rather unexpected since both of them were eating so well. They were surprisingly not picky at all about what they would eat.

I kinda wonder if that might have contributed to it, since Corydoras and Otocinclus have rather different dietary requirements (I think). Perhaps my Otocinclus weren't getting enough algae based foods? As I tend to give my Corydoras a brine shrimp based pellet which my Otocinclus also gobble up. I'll probably have to throw in algae tablets more often or even better make my own algae based food.

I really, really like Otocinclus cocama, but I'm not sure if I want to try keeping any more of them only to have them die a month later. The first one I kept also died after a couple of months with me.

I've also modded the chiller with an external probe. It does help to cool the water down more, but it also takes very long time to chill the water. It took about 1 hour to reach 1 degree above target temp, but it takes more than 40 minutes for it to cool the water back down. I'll probably undo the mod because my bills are going to skyrocket and then consider getting a brand new, larger chiller in the meantime.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I undid the modification yesterday after noticing how long it took for the chiller to cool the water. I mentioned before that it has to do with the placement of the temperature probe. Without the mod, there is usually a difference between the actual temperature of the aquarium and the reading on the chiller since the probe is located in the water tank in the chiller itself. I find that the chiller reaches temp before the tank does, and so the chiller cuts off prematurely, which also results in the temperature reading increasing quickly as warmer water from the aquarium flows into the chiller. Noticed in the afternoon that it got to 26 degrees Celsius at1351, then took 25 minutes to cool by 1 degree. It then went into standby from 1416 to 1444 which is just 28 minutes.

No massive temperature swings which is good, but doesn't seem to be terribly efficient. I swapped it back to the external probe in the end so so that it could have longer periods of standby. I think it also results in more accurate temperature readings and the tank water actually gets cooled to what I set it to because this morning I woke up and noticed a lot of condensation on the tank which has never happened before.

Back