• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90 Degree Clear Elbows

I have some, but they're not perfectly clear plastic
I wonder if those are glass if so try a glassblower to make some for you.

I made my own. Maybe those were DIY too.

Good idea but a perfect elbow might be difficult.
Buy the 16mm clear tube fill it with dry sand well compacted. Heat it with a hot air gun & carefully bend it, Male sure you don't apply the heat in one place for to long so you don't scorch the plastic & make sure the sand extends way beyond the bend so it supports the tube & is not squeezed out as you bend it.

Buy the 16mm clear tube fill it with dry sand well compacted.

Silicon cord works well too.

Your comment about not overheating is very valid; I did overheat mine, which caused some bubbling of the surface. That said they are still perfectly useable and hidden under/behind the hood.

One other thing to bear in mind is that clear tubing (glass or plastic) will not look like that for long; detritus and algae will build up and they will need cleaning inside with a long flexible brush.

My lfs still has a rather large new old stock batch 10mm and 15mm U and elbow, the 15mm U are sold out :( (i need them).. He an oldtimer from past generation and says it's the last stock and no longer in production, even doesn't remember the maker. He bought a large batch of stuff at an auction many years ago and there is so little demand he still gots them today. I believe i'm the only one buying them off him. I guess they are relics from past time when diy in aquarium was rather an obligation instead of an odd dying out skill. He has more silly stuff left i never knew it was ever made.

DSCF8251.jpg

But they are PVC and as Kippersarnie says indeed not perfectly glass clear, not that is needs to be, the hose also isn't..

For diy you could try to use Acrylic tube and put it in an oven, than heating up can easily be regulated. I do not know the exact working temperatur but theoreticaly acrylic gets pliable from 80°c to 110°c.. Acrylic tubing doesn't have an iso/din standard and can be found per mm in diameter. Whit clear PVC it can work the same, but needs a little higher temp. And available sizes are rather in iso/din 16,19,25mm etc. There are also silicone solid tubing available which has a much higher melting temp, which you could use as internal guide preventing kinks instead of sand.

Anyway best changes of finding omething like this ready made, scavange Aliexpress and or Ebay.. If it still is made, it is in Asia.

h-tank-mount-filtration-water-pipe-hose-filter-tube-holder-blue-83ec331b9bb68a7bedf6b878547a026e.jpg

I use this. Doesn't look as elegant as a glass elbow but the gentle curve it puts into hoses is cool. For the hoses. :D

Back