• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

90 cm Lighting Advice

TBRO

Hello all,

This is my first post sine 2014!

Returning to the hobby and just trying to work out what’s changed and get a set up together

I’m going to get a 90x45x50 aquarium. I’ve always wanted that bright sun, ripple/shadow effect. Would this only be possible with Metal Halide?

I read the thread about Kessil LED pendant with interest. I’m a bit concerned about the fan noise.... Presumably would need at least 2 on a 90 cm tank? Are there any other similar products? I really want to try and keep things as clean looking as possible over the top of the tank.

I feel like I’m starting from scratch again, given how technology has moved on! Help T

I'm in completely the same boat @TBRO i had a very long break, hadn't posted since 2011 before coming back, glad to see you back here aswell mate! :D :thumbup: As far as the shimmer/ripple effect goes, i have a 30W LED floodlight off amazon and it gives the effect, just the colour spectrum isn't as nice as things like kessil lights.

Welcome back.
Ripple effect is by having a point lighting (spot, MH etc)
There are multiple ways to achieve this, depending on whether you will add Carbon or not'\
A simple LED floodlight will produce it but also a Kessil 360 . LED lights over the full tank will not.

Cheers chaps, I noticed the Kessil post is from a few years ago too. There website doesn’t list the Amazon Sun, but does list a TunaSun presumably this is a newer model?

OK think I get it now TunaSun is Amazon Sun

Anyone have a handle on what the difference between the 160 and 360? As far as I can see 160s would be adequate for my purposes, even with demanding plants?

Welcome back.

There are many light options now so you should do a bit of research and look around.

I had a Kessil a360we tuna sun. There was zero noise out of it. But I was not a fan of its light spectrum, aesthetically wise. It gave the tank that yellow look or a bluish look depending on where one set it. It doesn't have any red or purple hue at all, so fish look washed out....It is also very large and heavy...

If you like a similar look, check out the Aquamedic Qube 50 Plant. They're a cheaper option and I like them much more than my Kessil(which took a dump in the tank accidentally) Each one comes with a gooseneck, included in the price, with all accessories needed, and you can get a controller as well.

https://www.aquapro2000.de/en/aqua-medic-qube-50-plant-led-lightning-for-freshwater-aquarium.html

These are mine although mine are pointed at emersed growth so can't show you the colour rendition but they have a purple to it, which I like as it pops the colours much better. The gooseneck is about 1000 times nicer than the Kessil ones as well and the entire unit is very light.
20180421_191525.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I will check those out. Nice thing these days is YouTube, ideal for getting an idea of what lights look like.

Back