• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

750l low tech... sloth tech!

Hi all,
Definitely not the kribs they are really good parent mouth brooders so no way theyd leave the eggs
They are definitely very good parents, but technically cave spawners. Do they mouth brood the wrigglers around once they've hatched?

I've found some of my Apistogramma females have caught any fry that have strayed and spat them back into the fry cloud below her, and A. barlowi is a proper mouth brooder.

cheers Darrel

Agreed, Kribs aren't mouth brooders (cave brooders as Darrel say). Although once hatched they will transport the fry around if they decide for a change in scenery. And they do tend to 'clean' the very young fry in there mouths. At least that what it looks like to me.

Also I only have the Siamese Algae Eaters. No Japanese Algae Eaters.... I thought the other variety was Chinese algae eaters anyway? This is a topic unto itself! I did allot of research before purchasing my SAE because I'd heard that CAE grow huge and can suck the sides of larger fish and flying foxes (very similar to SAE) don't eat algae that well.

My Kribs have spawned twice. First batch 2 survivors, second batch 9 survivors... the angels, kuhli loaches and ram and even the harlequins will pick off a young fry no problem. They are due to spawn again soon. They are learning how to protect there fry better each time. I predict more survivors in the next batch. However with no protective parents I'm not sure the Cory fry will survive without help.

Woops sorry then. Thought that taking the fry into the mouth signified mouth brooder... I bred them a few times and loved to watch the female round up the fry in her mouth if she thought that danger was near by.

Wow! That's some big SAE and a shoal of them lol. You wont get any algae problems hey! I've been thinking about getting one in a 150lt but I think that they will grow too large. They are the only fish I've heard of to eat BBA. Its a stunning aquarium the size is huge I love it. but I don't envy the 350lt water change a week.
Just do like me. Ive done everything automatic. Its changing 100 liters every day completely automatic. The temperature is also dead stable while doing it due to 1.5 kw heat and slowly changing 100l over 2 hours

Yer I might make this more automated one day. In all honesty I'm planning to up the filtration and wire in a STC1000 controller for temperature as well. However I'm moving at the end of the week so have to get through that hurdle first. This tank will be completely stripped and rebuilt during the move!! But due to so many other things to do I'm just gonna put the same scape back together!!! Lol. Only thing I might change is add a bit of osmocote under the sand and ditch the EI dosing. It's not for me. I forget too often!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back