• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60x40 substrate amounts

Nick16

Hi all,

Planning a new 60x40 and ive worked out i will need about 12.5l for a 5cm substrate depth.

However, i will be using the Tropical plant growth substrate and the soil over the top.
What ratios should i use them in?
Based on the above calculation would one 2.5l bag of the plant growth be enough?

Should i add anything else to it? I have some Osmocote lying around which i can sprinkle.

Thanks,
Nick

The 2.5l bag of Growth Substrate is a good amount for that tank footprint - you want a clean line at the edges (assuming a rimless tank) so the GS should be kept 1-2cm back from the glass sides

Tropica Soil - I strongly recommend the Powder as it's much easier to plant in than the larger particle version seen here (note demo plants are pushed into the dry substrate but this is unusual).
I used less than 2 bags of Tropica Powder for my 60cm x 45cm, substrate depth ranges from ~ 6cm - ~13cm

Note that even once tank is established the larger particle soil is considerably more "slippery" for replanting than Powder.

You can use just the Soil without GS but I always use both (tap water is very soft)
I wouldn't add any Osmocote etc initially - there is going to be so much available nutrients just from the Soil & GS

Initial planting with tank essentially dry & substrate just damp, is the easiest time to plant as the substrate is less "slippery", but take care to (gently) push plants deep enough to prevent them floating off once tank is filled ... this happens partly from water current & partly from trapped air in the substrate pushing free - & taking some plants with it :wideyed:
If planting HC, you might also use toothpicks to help hold the plants in place (unless you go with almost individual stems)

A watering can with a fine spray head works great at gently adding water to substrate, then spray/mist as you plant to keep leaves damp.

If you've the patience you might carefully fill the tank - a good idea to check hardscape layout through water vs air re perception & colors (I've some Yamaya stone with GLITTER :eek: ), also it's preferable to have wood float off WITHOUT plants ... I'm now a great believer in Rock ON Wood at the start up! - then drain tank back to substrate level before planting.
To facilitate removing as much water as possible, I leave an area at one corner that is bare glass (I use some bendy plastic for this)

:lol: just noticed your post count - I suspect you don't need my "tips" ... but I'll leave them anyway :)

Thanks for the advice.
As you suspected im not a newbie to the scene but have just lost touch with some of the new products and techniques.
Since my last full planted tank it must be about 6 years!

I will buy one 2.5l bag of plant growth and get one 9l bag of soil plus a smaller bag just to be sure.

Back